1998 GTI VR6 track/summer use oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 1998 GTI VR6 that I store for summer use and occasionally take to the track. The motor i built for it is still fairly fresh with only about 5000kms on it. I used dino oil for break in and am currently using Amsoil 20W50 but I am not happy with it during the cooler spring and fall. it works great at the track but thats very limited running. I want to replace it with a lighter oil that can withstand some track use preferably in the 5w40 range. What do you guys recommend? I've been contemplating the castrol syntec 5W50 as its readily available but i dont mind paying a little extra for a better quality oil

Last edited:
It's a pretty robust oil, so yes.

I would run a 5w40. Should give good cold and warm performance. Lots of good oils available for that, like Redline, Motul, Amsoil, etc. Rotella T6 is cheap and readily available which makes it a winner in my opinion.

I don't think a few track days will be a problem. I've made loads of passes on the drag strip and a few autocrosses with Rotella. Car has over 110,000 miles and is still running strong. Original engine and timing chains.

Great thanks very much guys. I wouldnt mind trying the pennzoil ultra 5W40 euro but it isnt readily available yet so that will have to wait. Thanks again! this forum always has fantastic info.

Mobil 1 0W40 it is my choice in my 2003 Jetta GLI, 24v VR6. I run at least one track day a month.

robert

For a 24V VR the M1 0w40 is perfect i agree. But the older 12v's dont seem to like it too much from what i've heard. a few people have seem some adverse valvetrain wear after hard usage. Some have had no problem with it all too but since my car will see a bit of hard use i am avoiding the 0W40 which is kinda hard since i work at a Porsche dealership and i have as skid of it sitting not 10 ft from my desk lol

Now mind you this isnt from experience just word of mouth so take it for what its worth.

Now im finding Rotella T full synthetic at canadian tire for 29.99 in 5W40 form. Is this the same as the Rotella T6? its a blue bottle.

Yeah, honestly that seems like "bad" word of mouth, to me. The two engines are more similar than they are different. I believe the 12v did have some guide issues that were resolved in the 24v, and I guess it is possible that oil would play a part in that, but mostly I think it was just a weak part. Anyhow, I'm sure T6 will be fine.

robert

The Mobil 1 0w40 is a solid oil and could be run year-round without issues. German Castrol 0w30 would be fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back