1997 Volvo Penta 5.7GSI 5w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I´m new to this forum - so please let me know if my questions have been answered before
smile.gif

I´ve got a Volvo Penta 5.7 liter from 1997 that (according to the manual) calls for API SJ approved oil, either 15w-40, 20w-50 or SAE30.

So far I´ve been using 15w-40 - and living in Norway Europe, thats been working fine. But last year I made a mistake and ordered 5w-30 for my car, and got the order mixed up, so it´s the wrong type for the car. Can I use those 6 quarts on my boat engine - as it says SAE30 would be fine?

SAE 30 has a higher HTHS than ILSAC 5w30 oils or resource conserving oils. Does the 5w30 you have carry any ACEA specs? If so it's possible it could be suitable for your boat engine.

No, it doesn't have any acea specs as far as I know. It's Royal Purple HPS 5w-30. I checked with the manufactor and they said it would "exceed" any acea specs needed for my Volvo xc90 diesel.

If it was mine, I would use it.

In 1997 did the 5.7 have an output of 250hp yet? What boat is it in? What's it weigh? How many hours are on the engine?

The engine is a 280 hp tbi vortec engine. It's in a 26 ft Nimbus Nova walk around, weighs about 2800 kg (5200 lbs?). The engine has run about 850 hours.

I would not use it in my boat. That oil is too thin to protect a marine engine that is run at high rpm for extended periods in hot weather with a open cooling system. You could probably get by but to me it's not worth the risk of increased wear.

Originally Posted By: biggusblockus
I would not use it in my boat. That oil is too thin to protect a marine engine that is run at high rpm for extended periods in hot weather with a open cooling system. You could probably get by but to me it's not worth the risk of increased wear.

I doubt that....

I have a Ford 302 (5.0) inboard V8 (OMC Cobra) engine, and my oil temps NEVER get over 170°F (77°C)

5W-30 oil would never get too thin at that low of a temperature.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

I doubt that....

I have a Ford 302 (5.0) inboard V8 (OMC Cobra) engine, and my oil temps NEVER get over 170°F (77°C)

5W-30 oil would never get too thin at that low of a temperature.

Do you have an oil temp gauge? Or just measured with a gun? At what temp would 5w-30 shear?

Forgot to say - it´s a closed cooling system. Uses normal coolant for the engine, which is raw water cooled via a heat exchanger. Water temp in engine is about 79 C.

Ok, I checked with Royal Purple, and they said as long as Sae30 is OK, I can use the 5w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back