1997 Thunderbird milestone today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1st car, 1997 4.6L V8 with Sports pkg.

I am Very proud of this car - has served me flawlessly with minimal maintenance, and I still enjoy the 4.6Ls low end torque and economy - 150k miles today, only 3 mechanical repairs to date (cat. converter replaced, IAC valve and harmonic balancer replaced) -
Has started at 1st crank EVERY time since i got it with 72k miles- NEVER left me stranded.
car gets MC 5/30 with FL 820S filter.
...and still runs like a champ.
All original, and no mods of any kind, and all electrical items still function like new...

As it happened:

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

Last edited:
Nice lookin' car. I had a 96 Cougar with the 4.6 and loved it. Went through the snow like nobodys business. Limited slip and independent rearend. I miss my cougar.

Built in an assembly plant in Lorain Ohio. (Near me) This plant started production circa 1958 and closed in the '90s. Over the years , it produced Fairlanes, Econoline vans, Falcons, T-birds and Cougars. Others that I probably missed. Ford continues to build Econoline vans in Avon Lake, but final assembly of cars (other than transplants) is greatly diminished in Ohio. That's a great looking car, 97tbird.Take good care of her and it may be worth more than you paid in a few years. Enjoy! FWIW--Oldtommy

your lucky 97tbird. you got three rides. I have two rides. wifey won't allow a 3rd vehicle unless I get rid of my 96 sunfire. so my 96 sunfire is still on the road, dents and all.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
wifey won't allow a 3rd vehicle unless I get rid of my 96 sunfire.

Haha! Same here. Can't buy one unless I sell one. But I did manage to squeeze a motorcycle in there...
smile.gif

Nice bird. I recently bought a 97 limited edition and I love it. I really like your color too btw! enjoy your TBird for another 150k!

I had a black '95 T-Bird with the 4.6. I loved that car, I wish I still had it b/c a turbo 4V would make for a sweet interstate car.
crazy.gif

just out of curiosity, 1997tbird, does your Tbird ever seem to run hot? Mine is consistently running near or at 3/4th of the way up on the temp hand. Just wondering if your V8 runs that way...my mechanic tells me that is just how they should run.

I have a 1995 Tbird LX V8 and it seems to run a bit on the "cool" side via my temp gauge. My gauge is usually 1/3 to 1/2 on the cool side. Last year though I had all new coolant, new thermostat and new hoses.

Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
just out of curiosity, 1997tbird, does your Tbird ever seem to run hot? Mine is consistently running near or at 3/4th of the way up on the temp hand. Just wondering if your V8 runs that way...my mechanic tells me that is just how they should run.

Mine never goes above half. Normally it's just above the 1/4 mark. goes to just below mid point on very hot days, and to the middle when idling, but drops back to slightly below 1/2 mark when 2nd fan comes on I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back