1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L... Four-banger

Ok gang, I really scored a win a couple months ago....

I found a 1997 Jeep Wrangler with 2.5L and Auto Transmission (which is best for the wife, who will be the primary driver). Oh yeah.... only 55,000 miles on it.

No owners manual, but what I have found on the web.... 30wt should be poured in.

We have two properties, one at 5,000 feet elevation and one at 8,000 feet elevation. In the winter, we will see temps down to negative 20.

On this 1997 engine... should I go conventional or synthetic.... or a blend?

Is there an oil that you would recommend for my 2.5L, four-banger?

How about this stuff????

1668137286044.png

Or this stuff????

1668137362970.jpg

Last edited:
They recommend 10w-30 above 0f and 5 w-30 below 0f and it holds 4 qts.

I had a 2.5L wrangler and I hated it. It was too gutless for the roads here and made my drive dangerous. Truckers thought I was poking along on purpose. They would tailgate me and cut me off.

I promised myself that I would never buy another 2.5L jeep.

Per my Chek Chart book, it calls for 10W30 above 0F and 5W30 below 60F. Your 5W30 Pennzoil should work just fine.

They recommend 10w-30 above 0f and 5 w-30 below 0f and it holds 4 qts.

I had a 2.5L wrangler and I hated it. It was too gutless for the roads here and made my drive dangerous. Truckers thought I was poking along on purpose. They would tailgate me and cut me off.

Given that it's an OHV 2.5L 4-banger that's about what I'd expect, like dropping an Iron Dook in a Jeep Chassis.

I've driven a couple and completely agree. Add 5-8K ft. elevation to the mix and OMG. I couldn't fathom driving one as a commuter-- perhaps on rural roads outside of city traffic.

That's a stupid simple engine that doesn't care what oil goes inside it. Pick your favorite brand and/or low priced API rated 5w-30 and call it a day. No need for fancy synthetics or the expensive Euro L you posted an image of.

Ok ok ok.... 2.5L bashing aside.....

Yeah, I have 32's on it and it is a total dog. To be delivered in two weeks is a complete new set of gears... in the 5.13 variety. That will make this dude an absolute... little mule and it will make the 3rd gear completely usable.

Yeah, no.... I don't put it on the interstate with a 70mph limit.... not why I own it.

But the new 5.13's will help to make it spectacular!!!!

1668140244859.png

In the mean time... I am still searching for the right oil, especially for winter driving conditions.

I want a high ZDDP.... so maybe my huckleberry is Rotella T6 5w40.

Cool find!

I owned a 1997 wrangler back in tbe good ol days. 2.5L, 5spd MT, hard top and a/c oddly enough.

I went through 2 sets of broken exhaust manifold bolts before the 3/36 warranty was up, but never had a problem with it other than that.

I don't recall if I ran 5 or 10w30 back in those days, but I know I used P8HA sized oil filters on it because of all the room.

You can flash the OBDII codes right off the ODO display on these IIRC.

I'd run Mobil 1 0w30 and sleep well... It will be interesting to hear what you think about the 2.5 at our altitude once you swap the gears out. My experience has not been great especially with the Auto..

I'd go with 5w30 or 10w30 to start and maybe 0w40 or 5w40 if its an oil burner.
Had a 2000 dakota with that 2.5 ... gotta drive it hard to move but not horrible.
That gearing will help .. i ran wider but lower profile tires for the same effect.. noght and day difference.

Nice Jeep - Its a pretty easy job to swap in the I6 engine and they're insanely cheap. I'd be running 10s-30 personally in the 4 banger.

Cool Car, Enjoy!

Back