1996 Tahoe 413,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a 1996 Tahoe at work today with the 350 Vortec and it had 413,000 miles on it! The owner said he had to replace the original transmission but as far as the engine goes it had never been opened for a repair! It looked good and sounded even better with a nice exhaust on it. He said he uses Castrol GTX 5w30 changed every 3,000 miles.
Thought that was pretty neat and wanted to share it.

Just goes to show that 3,000 mile OCI's with (really any) dino will provide virtually unlimited engine life! With today's dino's that can probably also be said for up to 5,000 mile OCI's.

if he'd changed the tranny fluid out every 3000 miles he might not have had to swap it either
wink.gif

Thanks for posting that. My opinion of Castrol GTX, I have to admit, has steadily improved. This is yet another data point on the list of mega-mileage engines that use good dinos, and yet another reason to suspect that engines just don't really wear out if they're treated well. They die of catastrophic causes, maybe, but they rarely just wear out.

- Glenn

I was very happy to hear that too! I also have a 350 Chevy and also Use Castrol GTX. My wear numbers in my UOA's could not get lower(iron 4ppm) in 3k miles. I have nowhere near 413,000 miles but I hope to make it that far....at 115,000 miles so far so good!

Obviously engines wear with mileage. However this engine had 40k/year on indicating likely pure highway mileage. I think this vehicle will likely last the same as a vehicle with only 10k/year agewise.

Ya never know. This Tahoe with 413K on it still has road wear on it through out the whole truck. The owner said it handled like it did at 100,000 miles. Seems all parts were wearing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back