1996 Integra GSR oil API spec 'SH'? Not available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello friends,

I apologize if this is too basic a question that have been addressed earlier, but I would very much appreciate all help.

For the first time I am changing the oil by myself for my 1996 Acura Integra GSR, and after going through the manual I find that the recommended engine oil is SAE 5W 30, with the API service spec of "SH". Most 'full synthetic' oils, except for 'Super Tech' oil from Walmart, do not give the "SH" spec at all, but other specs like "SM", etc. These recent oils are meant for later model cars, to the best of my understanding, do they exceed "SH" specs and which one does, any one know?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Aravind

Newer API service specs are backward compatible with older specs, you can use newer SM without any harm to your engine. My 1994 LS400 recommends SG oil, which was the current API spec at that year, since then it had been use SH, SJ, SL and now SM without any harm to the engine.

All new oil specs are backwards compatible. Thus, the new 'SM' spec you see cover everything before it - SL, SJ, SH...etc....

All new oil specs are better and easily exceed what went before them - use with confidence!

From what I'm reading, SJ replaces SH, and SL replaces SJ. So, if you find an oil that meets API SJ or SL, it is an option.

An SM oil may be tougher in some ways than an SL oil. However, SM is known to require lower levels of certain additives that are beneficial to some older engines, which may include your GSR's engine (there is debate about this as far as I know). This was done to prolong the lives of catalytic converters.

If you're looking at a good synthetic, SM will probably do fine for you. If it were my car, though, I'd look for SJ or SL.

Why not use Acura's own oil? Do you want a synthetic?

Use an API SM rated oil in your B18 and drive happy. The newer specs are backwards compatible. By the way, do you have any pics of your DC2?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
From what I'm reading, SJ replaces SH, and SL replaces SJ. So, if you find an oil that meets API SJ or SL, it is an option.

An SM oil may be tougher in some ways than an SL oil..........

If you're looking at a good synthetic, SM will probably do fine for you. If it were my car, though, I'd look for SJ or SL.

Why not use Acura's own oil? Do you want a synthetic?

Thanks everyone, for your replies and help. d00df00d, yes, I am looking to use full synthetic. Why do you say that 'SM' may be 'tougher'? Also, if 'SM' replaced 'SJ' and 'SL', why would you not prefer SM to sj and sl, if it were your car?

Aravind

Look on page 2 of this link showing the dates of the various oil service categories:
http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/categories/upload/English_Oil_Guide.pdf

Each new category specifies "tougher" oil because of the competing interests...the EPA wants better gas mileage. The engine makers want fewer warranty repairs and longer service intervals (for marketing reasons...the dealerships like your money from short service intervals). The oil makers want a cheap, easy-to-produce product. The result meets these needs well.

Use Service Category SM oil and sleep well.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Use an API SM rated oil in your B18 and drive happy. The newer specs are backwards compatible. By the way, do you have any pics of your DC2?
grin2.gif

Thanks to you all for all the information! Now I have a better understanding! I'll take 'SM' with confidence, thanks 2 you all.

3rdI, I had to look up 'B18' and 'DC2'!
blush.gif
Sure, I do have pics, but I am not sure you'd find it exciting, it is bone stock, black current pearl, 4dr, performs flawlessly tho.

Aravind

Ah, sorry! I just assumed that since you had the higher performance GS-R that you might be an Integra enthusiast. Never-the-less, it's a great car
thumbsup2.gif
I'm sure you probably enjoy it. The 4-door GS-R is actually called a DB8 (it's a reference to the VIN number). By the way, bone stock is the way to go
thumbsup2.gif
Integras look great stock, I can't stand any of those tacky "Altezza" tail lights, body kits or giant wings on the back. If you ever have any other Integra related questions, or if you still feel like e-mailing me those pics, feel free to send me a private message. I'm fairly knowledgeable about them
grin2.gif

Take care
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Aravind
Why do you say that 'SM' may be 'tougher'? Also, if 'SM' replaced 'SJ' and 'SL', why would you not prefer SM to sj and sl, if it were your car?

Ken2 pretty much said it. It's really just personal preference. Unless you drive your car really hard or race it, there shouldn't be much difference (if any).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back