1996 Cavalier 2.2L - 168k cylinder head picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pulled the valve cover off our 1996 Cavalier last weekend to replace a valve cover gasket. I thought I'd share a picture of the cylinder head. The car has 168k on it; my wife bought it new. It received dealership dino for the first 15k miles, M1 for the next 127k, then TropArtic for a couple of years, and now it's on rebate special ($1/qt) Maxlife synthetic. It sure does like that Maxlife synthetic...nice & quiet! Engine still runs very well, and I hope to get another 5-6 years out of the car.

Cavalier%20Cylinder%20Head.jpg

Looks nice. Still on the original timing chain and tensioner?

I have 3 2.2L CAVs in my family. My daughter has a 1996 also with 90K. Son is running a 2001 with 125K (changed timing chain at 120K). I just picked up a 1999 CAV for a daily driver with 132K.

These OHV 2.2L GM engines are pretty good when taken care of IMHO.

Hootbro

thanks for the pic, your engine bay is really clean. I have a 1996 Sunfire 2.2 OHV. same engine. I have 152k miles on it. original timing chain, tensioner, water pump, headgasket, and fuel pump. (knock on wood) does maxlife syn really quiet down the piston slap? I have 15qts when I got it free after rebate a few years ago.

96cavvalves.jpg

Hard life 96 cavalier with 193k I got for $300 to give my brother-in-law.

Just died a month ago from a timing chain that had been rattling for a while.

Did a head gasket on this car too, last fall, for an external leak. Head gasket was super easy with no cam in the way! I didn't even unhook the power steering brackets, just yanked up and had an inch to slither in there and wipe 'er down. Twisted some stamped metal then twisted it back. It held.
grin2.gif

Still a great peppy motor. Also if you note the lifting hook is bent, sure sign it's been yanked and probably replaced.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Hard life 96 cavalier with 193k I got for $300 to give my brother-in-law.

Doesn't look that bad even for a hard-lifer! These GM OHV 2.2's were good hardy, decent power engines IMO. They must have decent crank-case ventilation to stay so clean up top.

JOel

Still on the original timing chain, tensioner, and headgasket (knock on wood :) ). The headgasket has a very small external leak in the usual place when the temperature gets down around 0 F, other than that it's fine. A recent UOA shows no traces of antifreeze in the oil. I've been keeping a close eye on the headgasket...and a close ear on the timing chain. The instant it starts rattling, it gets parked until the chain & tensioner are replaced.

The Maxlife helps the piston slap some, but it's still noticeable until the engine warms up a bit.

It's been a good car for us. My wife doesn't drive it much anymore, but I drive it every day to work. Gets great gas mileage and has been quite reliable. I've heard of these things going well over 200k, so we're going to see what this one can do.

96Cavalier.jpg

Last edited:
I traded in a 95 with 247K miles on it. Original timing chain and one head gasket. Everything worked great but it was getting rusty. If I needed a little car I would get another cavalier in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted By: jamesn
wow. that M1 sure kept it clean. looks nice.

I agree.........very clean. Keep the oil changes up and it will stay like that. :2cents:

The gfs 01 cavalier has 105K on her 2.2L runs strong. We've been running the Mobil Clean 5K out to 6000 miles with great results. I've posted the UOAs in the UOA section before.

Hey guys Can someone please explain to me the step by step processes onhow to change the head gasket on a 96 CAVALIER 2.2. It's my first time replacing a head gasket so I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Pictures will be grately app recciated if possible .
Thanks

Originally Posted By: 1996cavalier22
Hey guys Can someone please explain to me the step by step processes onhow to change the head gasket on a 96 CAVALIER 2.2. It's my first time replacing a head gasket so I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Pictures will be grately app recciated if possible .
Thanks

Pick up a Haynes or a Chiltons manual for the car for this. I did it on the 97 cavalier I had, and it wasn't terribly hard, but it was an... adventure. The book helped immensely. I do recommend that while you have it torn down, replace the water pump.

Very easy job for the mechanically inclined. Get a manual and review the process and the tools needed before digging in.

I already replaced the water pump the starter alternator, and now I want to replace the head gasket cause theres a leak, antifreeze is leaking, do I have to replace the head bolts? Do I have to take the head to a machine shop?

you should always take the head in and have it ground true for reinstallation. They can advise you if it needs a valve job, etc.

I'm not certain those are TTY bolts, you'll need to research the manual on them.

I recently got over 150k out of one of these cars, and it was still running strong. Almsot all OCI's were over 8k on bulk dino (UOA's in that section), and no engine issues.

Althought I 'moved on', I will always refer to these cars with respect - true little tanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back