1996 Camry Rear Diff Service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is involved in servicing the rear differential of a 1996 Camry 4 cylinder sedan? Thanks in advance.

quote:

Originally posted by wulimaster:

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
I have never heard of a FWD car with a rear differential.

Toyota made 4x4 Camrys. Perhaps this is the vehicle he has.

I learn something new everyday.
smile.gif
I thought the celica was the only AWD vehicle sold by toyota in the 90's. Was the AWD camry sold here in america?

I don't know about 4X4 rear differentials on the Camrys either, but there is a "differential" drain and fill....mehere, are you looking for a rear differential or the differential drain and fill near the tranny pan?

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by wulimaster:

quote:

I have never heard of a FWD car with a rear differential.

Toyota made 4x4 Camrys. Perhaps this is the vehicle he has.

I learn something new everyday.
smile.gif
I thought the celica was the only AWD vehicle sold by toyota in the 90's. Was the AWD camry sold here in america?

Yes. Though not in any great quantity. The AWD made it considerably slower than the already slow fwd. I saw them back in late 89 while looking for a new car. Bought the 1st 90 Accord when they arrived at the dealership in Baltimore instead of the Camry.

Sorry I meant the differential drain -- I have a TOYO truck also and I confused RD with FWD. My ignorance shows.

I'm kinda going by memory here for a 98 V-6 Camry, the unit is near the tranny pan, so it may not be the same proccess. Do NOT drain until you are sure you have found the fill hole and are able to make sure you are able to open it. You have to fill it with one of those hand pumps since the fluid is going against gravity. After you ensure that you can re-fill, I think both the drain and fill uses a 10mm hex bit (like an Allen wrench, try using that first). Can't help you with where the actuall location of the fill hole though.

Good luck and let us know if it is the same for the 96 4 cyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back