1995 Roadmaster brake issues, what to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so this car drives and rides beautifully but it has started to show its age with 20 years and 73k miles. Just today it started pulling to the right under any sort of brake application, the steering wheel also turns the same direction making me have to correct it. It's also accompanied by a very noticeable bump and thunk from the driver front area of the car which I suspect to be a bad caliper. It will thunk as soon as you apply the brake and do it again when I release it from a stop, almost like being hit.

I can work with hand tools but diagnosis is not my strong suit which is why I'm posting here. Obviously I'll be looking at the caliper slide pins, brake pads and the idler arm. It just sounds to me like something is loose or very worn. I'll be getting it up in the air tomorrow

If the car is not pulling to one side when the brakes are released it's probably not a stuck caliper piston. If the caliper freezes it will pull to that side, overheat that rotor and when you apply the brakes the car will pull to the other side.

Your situation sounds like a control arm bushing failure. I would look closely at both the upper and lower control arm bushings.

Yup, just take the front brakes all apart. There'll probably be a pad you have to chisel out and it'll be way skinnier than the rest.

And you can work from there.
wink.gif

It could also be that the alignment shims have fallen out of the upper control arm. I had a Roadmaster of that same vintage that it happened to.

Good Luck...

Join this forum and buy these factory service manuals, not mine, 94 and 95 are virtually the same, I paid 2X that in 2002, best manuals written:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1263145

Avondale as in AZ? I bought my 94 RM in Scottsdale in 2002. Has 75k. These will last forever with good care.

Don't buy rebuilt calipers as suggested, they are junk and retailers would love to get your originals.

Not sure of your problem but your car is easy to work on, parts are cheap and plentiful, and FSM and forum help makes it a snap.

Last edited:
When you take it all apart, pay close attention to the caliper slides. Along with your pads, get a hardware kit as well, clean up the slides and lube with the proper lubricant. If your outer shoes are worn more than the inners, that proves it.Don't overlook the suggestions also mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back