1995 Jeep Wrangler SE 4 cylinder 5 speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about max life to condition the gaskets and seals. I even really thought about just getting super tech 10-30 but got the Pennzoil 10-30 for the first change. Oil pressure stays on 3/4 over consistent warm or cold at any rpm.

Everything works to on it. 1 thing with a problem is the gas gauge. It will only go just over 3/4 when you fill it up. It wont go all the way to full.

We have a 1994 4cyl 5 speed manual "wrongler" (square headlights). Living @ 7000 ft in the Rockies it spends a lot of time @3300 rpm in the lower gears, but always gets us there.
We run Max life 5 or 10W-30 @ 120,000 miles. Have recently replaced motor mounts and tranny mount as they were shot. Steering gearbox too.

Originally Posted by Honda2003
Well I was by Walmart today and picked up regular Pennzoil 10-30 and a super tech filter. I was gonna get mopar but was $4 difference. Its leaking around the valve cover some. It actually looks like it has a little to much oil in it. I think the pcv valve also might be a little clogged. Gonna clean all that off and get new pcv valve and change the oil. Serpentine belt is cracked all to pieces also. It is really clean overall everywhere even under hood and underneath. The guy change the oil when he got it a year ago and they hardly ever drove it. Oil still looks new and so does the frame filter that's on it. Smells new to. I'm changing it anyway. Was almost 40 mile trip home on the hwy. It drove really good. I'm proud of it. I stole this thing for $4,500. I been looking for 2yrs for a awesome deal. I seen this on Facebook and just so happen it was a engineer at my work that had it. I guess I just lucked out.

Nice score! Love the YJ Wranglers. The 2.5L is slower than the 4.0L but not "dangerous" like other posters mentioned.
smirk2.gif
Valve cover gasket is a common leak on both the 4.0 and 2.5 and is a pretty cheap/easy fix. It's hard to find a clean older Wrangler these days since most were beat up off road. The gas gauge issue is likely from the sending unit in the tank.

Nice Jeep, I don't think they're all that picky. 10w30 conventional, change it somewhat often and keep on going.

I'd worry more about making sure the cooling system is up to par.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
It's in excellent shape for being 25 years old.

I'd use Rotella T4.

What he said …….older Jeep = Rotella

15-40 T4
10-30 or 15-40 T5 synthetic blend

Congrats,, loved mine, Had the 95 as black with grey interior and the soft top but the half doors with glass slider windows. Here in CO, the 4 cyl was a bit gut-less in the ski country at upper elevations going uphill but if not in a hurry or racing anyone, it was never a problem. Just the one time the 4.0 would have been a nice difference. At normal elevations, I don't suspect you have any worries or complaints.
I did the o/c's and used Rotella synthetic. So darn inexpensive and well rated, plus I used in everything else we owned / drove at the time including my motorcycle.
One stop shopping !!

I use Castrol Edge 10w40 HM or Rotella T6/ Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck.

I'm definitely a fan of 40 weights or at least thick 30's like Rotella T5 in the 4.0.

Wranglers always remind me of WWII Willys vehicles - its in the fenders and the front end I think...

Best viscosity for these is determined by climate - the SAE will give you the specifics. Whichever brand helps you sleep at night, but remember that climate dictates iscosity.

I miss my 74 CJ-5 that was a fun distraction for me while I was in high school and my early driving years.
Giant steering wheel, straight 6 / 232, 31" tires, snow plow suspension, soft top and MI winters. Handling and driving was like riding a donkey that was on crack.
I got into more than few scrapes with it but I could never blame the Jeeper. Kids be'in Kids I guess.

It's demise and my 'close-call' was a red light runner at 11 pm on Friday night in August of 1981.

33.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bachman
I miss my 74 CJ-5 that was a fun distraction for me while I was in high school and my early driving years.
Giant steering wheel, straight 6 / 232, 31" tires, snow plow suspension, soft top and MI winters. Handling and driving was like riding a donkey that was on crack.
I got into more than few scrapes with it but I could never blame the Jeeper. Kids be'in Kids I guess.

It's demise and my 'close-call' was a red light runner at 11 pm on Friday night in August of 1981.

33.gif

lol.gif

I got it done pretty easy job on this rig. I went with PYB 10-30. I might go with synthetic next we will see. Glad I got this rig its alot of fun.

[Linked Image]

So does this mean front and rear differentials get 90wt gear oil and the transfer case gets ATF4?

I've used ATF+4 and Dex/Merc III in the 231 transfer cases of quite a few Jeeps with no issues. The axles should get any 75w90 and the rear should get limited slip additive if you have the LSD, or 75w140 if frequently towing or running larger tires.

Thank You! I have another question. How many gallons is the gas tank? I thought it was just 10 but today I put in 10.08 gallons and it still showed 1/8 tank. When I fill it up the gauge like a 1/8th showing full. So I figured it still should have had a 1/4 tank in it when I filled up.

Thank You! I have another question. How many gallons is the gas tank? I thought it was just 10 but today I put in 10.08 gallons and it still showed 1/8 tank. When I fill it up the gauge like a 1/8th showing full. So I figured it still should have had a 1/4 tank in it when I filled up.

Tank size is 15 gallons I believe, but the gauges are known to be inaccurate after a number of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back