1995 Honda Accord 2.2L W/ Filter, and Valvetrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I was having difficulty getting a photo to post up the document, but have the link below to view it via goodle drive. The vehicle is as described, a 1995 Honda Accord with the 2.2L I-4 with approximately 171K miles. It's my wife's daily driver, with the driving being approximately 70% highway and 30% city mileage. The oil used is KMart special Smitty's Super S High Mileage 10W30 that I got on sale for approximately $1.50 per quart, and used one quart of make-up oil during the 10,460 mile OCI. The filter used was a Purolator Synthetic that I also picked up at KMart on sale for around $4.50, so I thought I'd give this combination a try and see how the results turned out. I also decided to try out a bottle of Liqui Moly to add during this OCI just to sweeten the experiment. I also performed a valve lash check since the last time it was performed was nearly 70,000 miles ago, and found all to be within spec and operating well. I picked up the UOA kit via a local Napa parts house which uses Wix for their analysis needs for $13 with TBN. Other links include a Blackstone labs Honda Accord UOA of similar year for wear averages comparison, along with a VOA performed by PQI America for the general additive chemistry of the starting oil (yes, this was done on the cheap to say the least); but I wanted to see how a lower starting TBN oil would perform with a higher than average OCI.

PQI America VOA of Smitty's Super S High Mileage Oil

]Napa Oil Analysis

Blackstone Oil Analysis Universal Averages

These are the photos of the Oil filter:

20150919_164131_zpsqfnv7vty.jpg

20150917_143402_zpsifewpmsl.jpg

20150919_164154_zps1oqahtcs.jpg

More photos will be displayed in the Oil Filter section!

20150905_130558_zpsgacsnde6.jpg

20150905_130533_zpsvkmo3f8b.jpg

Comments and questions are welcome, hope you all enjoy!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
What's that blue [censored] in spark plug tube #3?

One of the spark plug gaskets would release a drop of oil or so after I sealed everything down roughly 70,000 miles ago, so I used some make a gasket on the interior to stop the occasional drop of oil from going down the spark plug tube. This time around I cleaned everything from the tube, and got all gaskets to properly seal.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Did you vacuum the filter?

I usually see some kind of oil in a cut and post, but your looks more like a new cut.

Nah, I let the filter sit for a day or two wrapped in a paper towel the first day, and then a thin shop towel the next day. I found it reduces glare from the camera and allows better overall inspection of the filter media (more photos are posted in the Oil Filter section if you're interested).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back