1995 F-150 power steering leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a leak at the reservoir where the high pressure hose fitting is. I replaced the high pressure hose thinking that was leaking but it wasn't. This has been weeping for some time but now its marking the driveway. I know there are seal kits, but my question is, is the seal for this fitting, which does not come with the pressure hose supposed to be flat or more like an O-ring? I don't know if the seal kits you can buy has the correct O-ring or seal for the reservoir.

The fitting in question. It has a black seal against the reservoir.
20170706_212558 by JOHN, on Flickr
Leak from the bottom
20170706_212652 by JOHN, on Flickr20170706_212541 by JOHN, on Flickr

I have only ever seen that seal come with new plastic reservoirs.

Take it apart & degrease everything,
then use Permatex brand (ONLY!) teflon sealant on it.
It's very expensive, but worth it.

I wouldn't quote this but I remember hearing years ago that fitting was a design flaw and tended to leak. So adding Teflon sealant as already mentioned will probably be needed.

While it's not the best design in the world, these have an o-ring that allows the hose to move without (in theory, anyway) leaking. The factory recommends no sealant on the threads although some people may claim a temporary success by using sealant. Proper torque on the fitting is also recommended.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
While it's not the best design in the world, these have an o-ring that allows the hose to move without (in theory, anyway) leaking. The factory recommends no sealant on the threads although some people may claim a temporary success by using sealant. Proper torque on the fitting is also recommended.

He's actually talking about the ring around the nipple that threads into the pump, holding pressure on the reservoir.

He's verified the O-ring on the line itself is good.

I've had two of those $#%^*&(* lines pop off/out in my life! The crimp hear the swivel is almost non-existent. A very bad design. At the time, (1981? '82?) the Ford dealer actually recommended getting a different pump and line from an earlier 70's Ford (never did, though). Eventually they figured out how to make it work.

There is an o-ring for the fitting, and it does come in the PS pump seal kit.

My 2002 Ranger had a leak in the same spot. I took the fitting off the reservoir, found the same size o-ring in the kit, put it back together and it has been leak free for over a year. IIRC, the only tools needed were an adjustable wrench, a pick to get the o-ring off, and that was it. Took a couple minutes.

I've read here that Ford did sell at one point in time a seal kit that allows you to replace the high pressure seal in the swivel without having to replace the hose.

Whatever you do, be gentle tightening that fitting.

Looking at the pics, this seems to just be a reservoir seal problem. Unscrew the hose, unscrew the fitting, and there are two O-rings. The large one is the one visible in the pic between the fitting and the plastic. The small o-ring is an internal seal in the fitting. Pay attention to the position of the small o-ring as there are two identical grooves on the fitting. Ford has reservoir seal kits for C3 pumps. This is literally a 5 minute job to replace those two O-rings on that fitting. The big seal on the reservoir body to pump can be done if needed, but if it ain't broke.............

OK Thanks for the replies everyone. It was in fact two O-rings that came in the reseal kit I got from O'reilly for $7.99. I replaced those two and the one for the cap. I had to use an adjustable wrench to get the fitting off. I have a set of line crows feet but I didn't have one that fit and none of my regular wrenches fit either. So far no leaks and I drove it across town and back. I can't believe I put this off so long. Its been dripping fluid all over my AC compressor and onto the ground. No more leak. The old O-rings were hard as rocks and the large one was a weird shape, almost triangular.

Last edited:
I remember that second o-ring now that you guys mention it. This is a super easy fix and I was wondering why I didn't deal with it sooner too. My truck was leaving a stain everywhere it was parked. Those two o-rings did the trick. I had bought a hose, but decided to try the o-rings before putting it on. Those seal kits are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back