1995 BMW M3 3,000 Miles Lubro Moly 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best OCI to date.

Look at all the boron in this oil!

Items of Note:

1) First OCI was GC Green (immediately following the second rinse phase of a dual ARX treatment)

2) Second OCI was GC Green + LM Ceratec (since this stuff is supposed to coat, some leftovers may have existed in the subsequent OCI)

3) Third UOA is Lubro Moly Voll Synthese 5W-40 (no additives, but see note 2)

4) Consumption decreased from 1qt/1800 mi to 1qt/2700 mi (lower limit of spec is 1qt/750 mi)

lubromilyka1.jpg

Last edited:
I got it at Advanced Auto, but it seems they are no longer carrying it. It can also be purchased at bavauto and inter auto parts (sp?) between 34-40 bucks for 5 liters.

Although your consumption is high for the mileage (I don't know the characteristics of the engine), unless you are hammering this engine most of the time, that's one really short OCI with pretty expensive oil

6k in a little over 3 months.

consumption for this engine is way more than this - 1qt per 750 miles is still considered within specs.

Even the GC is less than 1/2 of that spec, my dealer says 1qt / 1000 miles is normal.

****Sample date on this OCI should be 9/29/07

Seems these engines all all over the map, some report little burning, some report bottom rang of spec. My consumption is great on this engine!

Only reason I am doing short OCI's is to do as many tests with as many combinations I can think of. I will then start over with 6000 miles OCI's.

Last edited:
Better than GC? Yes, except lead. The improvements are probably within the margin of error. I wouldn't say LubroMoly "kicked" anything's butt. Your iron was trending down already, and there weren't enough intervals to see where that was going or if it was initially high due to leftover ARX cleaning action. I also wouldn't necessarily credit LubroMoly with reducing your consumption. It also sounds like it was trending down after ARX even without changing the type of oil.

The results are good, but I don't see the incremental improvement as anything to get really excited about unless you can directly attribute consumption reduction to the use of this oil. Then I'd get excited
smile.gif

I'm looking at LubroMoly's site and find it interesting that their 5w-40 is considered "Fully Synthetic" but only meets the BMW LL-98 spec. Yet their 5w-30 is listed under "HC Technology" (HC as in hydrocracked?) but meets the latest BMW LL-04 spec.

Curious how that 5w-30 would fare in your application...

Quote:

Only reason I am doing short OCI's is to do as many tests with as many combinations I can think of. I will then start over with 6000 miles OCI's.

They all look good. Although there is some variance above UA early on ..it's still not bad.

Now that I understand your method of determining the best way to go, it makes more sense. You'll be able to see if any threshold breaks in differences when you extend the same oils over 6k.

Without qualification is just looked like you really enjoyed changing expensive oil very often. Now the method in your madness is apparent.
grin.gif

LOL,

yeah, at first glance it just looks like I'm changing to be changing. Ideally, I would have started on 6000mi OCI's, which was in fact my normal OCI on Synth before finding this oil obsessed site.

at 6000 OCI i would have only been able to do 2 tests per year with a given concoction.

My 3000 Mi OCI's once finished will be

GC Green
GC Green + LM ceratec
LM 5W-40
GC Gold + VSOT + BGMOA + LM MoS2 (in my engine now)
LM 0W-40
GC Gold
------
possibly
AMS 5W-40
M1 T&SUV 5W-40
RLI 5W-40

Then I will start the 6000 mile OCI's starting with the best UOA in the 3000 mile test group, and repeat.

Would have taken me 3+ years just to get 'some' data on the desired test oils (additives). Too impatient for that
grin.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

I also wouldn't necessarily credit LubroMoly with reducing your consumption. It also sounds like it was trending down after ARX even without changing the type of oil.

All of your other comments are well taken, but I will credit a 40W with lower consumption than a 30W (albeit a high 30).

Both GC Green OCI's were rock solid at 1qt/1800 miles, then the LM interval was 1qt/2700.

The old spec for this car was 10W-40 or 20W-50 (in most climates with the 40W being very cold winters)

In any event, we will see with a fresh GC interval (I think I am out of green though, so the gold results may not be comparable)

Note: Interesting enough may be this current GC gold OCI, I have filled the crank with 6.3 quarts GC gold, 1 botle of VSOT, 1 can of BG MOA & 1 can of LM MoS2.

As far as I can tell, there has been Zero consumption in 700 miles. We will see at 3000. As always, I will post the data.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back