1995 Acura Integra, Amsoil ASL 5W-30, 5,153 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car: 1995 Acura Integra LS
Oil: Amsoil ASL 5W-30 (purchased early 2007)
Oil Filter: Purolator PureONE 14459
Air Filter: Napa Gold
Miles on oil: 5,135
Time on oil: 3 months
Miles on vehicle: 149,109
Driving style: Mostly highway but a lot of below freezing temps and some very spirited driving as well (saw a few redlines!)
Notes: Consumed/leaked ~.5 quarts of oil, did not need to top off (was right between the dots on the dipstick, was at top dot at start of OCI). Was concerned about the consumption/leakage and changed it before the planned 7,500 miles. Air filter was changed when I changed the oil to a Purolator Premium Plus.

amsoiluoa.jpg

Previous OCIs from most recent to oldest:
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, Havoline DS 5W-30, Valvoline 5W-30

Honda engine is so easy on oil, the TBN of Havoline DS (with 800 miles less) is almost as good as Amsoil. I would use Havoline in this engine for 6-7k miles.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Honda engine is so easy on oil, the TBN of Havoline DS (with 800 miles less) is almost as good as Amsoil. I would use Havoline in this engine for 6-7k miles.

That's true, but that Havoline mileage was mostly all very long highway trips (500 miles at a time) and warmer temps whereas this was subject to a lot more hot/cold cycles and a lot of below freezing temps. But I'm curious to see how Pennzoil will hold up in my car. I'm planning on running it for the same mileage and getting the TBN tested again to compare. My driving habits have been the same thus far, for sake of some consistency.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
That engine is good for another 250K miles.

I love the 'dots' on the older Honda/Acura dip sticks.

I do too, plus the handle is nice and robust, won't be breaking anytime soon. The only thing I don't like about the dipstick system is that it's hard to see the tube between the exhaust manifold and the heat shield.

Waste of money, changing syns at this mileage. Run Pennzoil/Havoline/Valvoline to 4-5k miles and save yourself a TON of money.....

Disappointing to me to see the TBN so low after just 5k miles. For an oil that costs about $9 a quart( list price ) and starts out at 12.2 TBN, that's almost upsetting to see the 3.5 number.

I've often thought that the only truly accurate way to measure the TBN would be to check it every 1k miles or so. That way you could tell whether or not it gradually dropped, or dropped in the first half of the run, or maybe it just dropped the last 500 miles. It could be that this oil was going to stay at 3.5 for many more miles, but who knows...

TBN reduction is not at all linear. This oil will easily go 10-12k miles with TBN to spare....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
TBN reduction is not at all linear. This oil will easily go 10-12k miles with TBN to spare....

I'm glad you think this oil will go that far, but most seem to dump it way before then.

So what are you saying? That this oil dropped to 3.5 and stayed there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back