1995 7.3L Powerstroke, 5K miles, Traveller 15W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my first analysis for my new-to-me 1995 F250 7.3L Powerstroke. The truck had 70K miles on it when I got it last December. Changed the oil at 75K miles. Analysis by Blackstone.

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 2
IRON 17
COPPER 4
LEAD 7
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 38
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 18
SILICON 9
SODIUM 5
CALCIUM 1463
MAGNESIUM 715
PHOSPHORUS 1092
ZINC 1285
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 67.7
cSt Viscosity @ 100C 12.34
Flashpoint in °F 395
Fuel % 2.0
Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3
Insolubles %

"It looks like the Tractor Supply Traveller All-Fleet 15W/40 oil is working quite well inside your 7.3L
Power Stroke at 76,000 engine miles. There was, however, 2.0% fuel dilution in the oil, which likely caused
the viscosity to read a little low. This is a borderline acceptable amount of fuel, so watch for increased oil on
your dipstick. If you oil level increases, you may have a fuel system problem. Universal averages for this
type of diesel are based on about 5,500 miles on the oil. Your engine wear looks good after 5,000 miles on
the oil. Try 6,000 miles next and we'll watch for fuel."

I'll be doing my 2nd oil change and analysis later this week. I will be paying particular attention to the fuel%.

First - welcome!

Looks good.

The wear numbers in your UOA are very normal; looks fine.
The fuel indeed could be a leaking injector; keep an eye on it as suggested.

17 year old truck with only 70k miles on it? Nice find!

Nice to see the Traveler brand tested; not a popular brand on this site, but it's API certified, and every bit as capable for normal OCIs as any other lube out there.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies.

When I bought the truck, I obviously became interested in oils. After looking around, and being a regular customer of Tractor Supply, I decided to give their 15W-40 a try. So far, I'm glad I did. Continued testing will confirm it one way or the other.

Currently, TSC has the 5-gallon pail of 15W-40 on sale here for $49.99 ($10 per gallon). I keep several changes worth on hand, and I picked up a pail yesterday to put on the shelf.

Based on previous good experience with Walmart's Super Tech Synthetic oil (used in a 1999 Ford Windstar van from 20K mile until I sold it with 200K mile on it) and in wife's 1995 Ford Mustang with 158K miles on it, no testing on either. I changed the oil in both at 5K intervals), I would like to see some input on the Super Tech 15W-40.

I like to save money, as long as the product is proven good.

Originally Posted By: nra1ifer
Thank you for the replies.

When I bought the truck, I obviously became interested in oils. After looking around, and being a regular customer of Tractor Supply, I decided to give their 15W-40 a try. So far, I'm glad I did. Continued testing will confirm it one way or the other.

Currently, TSC has the 5-gallon pail of 15W-40 on sale here for $49.99 ($10 per gallon). I keep several changes worth on hand, and I picked up a pail yesterday to put on the shelf.

Based on previous good experience with Walmart's Super Tech Synthetic oil (used in a 1999 Ford Windstar van from 20K mile until I sold it with 200K mile on it) and in wife's 1995 Ford Mustang with 158K miles on it, no testing on either. I changed the oil in both at 5K intervals), I would like to see some input on the Super Tech 15W-40.

I like to save money, as long as the product is proven good.

I'm pretty sure Traveller 15w40 and Supertech 15w40 are the exact same product from WPP and quality oils.

Truck was due for an oil change so I did that last night. While it was draining I added an FS-2500 bypass filter that I had on the shelf waiting to be installed. The entire installation was a piece of cake and goes on very easily. I got an oil sample prepared to send in and mailed it today. Also changed the fuel filter. I do that every other oil change.

I'm looking forward to hearing back from Blackstone.

Will be very intersted to see how things develop over time.

Get a few UOAs as a base line.
Then get some as you increase your OCIs with the bypass filter.

To get the ROI on the filter, you will most certainly need to extend your OCI.

In normal OCIs, there really is little if any wear reduction benefit to a bypass system.

In extended OCIs, the bypass systems can really pay off and make great sense.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Will be very intersted to see how things develop over time.

Get a few UOAs as a base line.
Then get some as you increase your OCIs with the bypass filter.

To get the ROI on the filter, you will most certainly need to extend your OCI.

In normal OCIs, there really is little if any wear reduction benefit to a bypass system.

In extended OCIs, the bypass systems can really pay off and make great sense.

Yes, I will be interested in extending the OCI. Not sure where my comfort level will be, but the analysis and their recommendation will be key.

Thanks for the input.

..., but the analysis and their recommendation will be key.

And that is exactly how you can, and will, be rewarded for your efforts.

Don't let mythology and rhetoric guide you. Use the tools (UOAs and PCs) as they were intended to make sound decisions.

You can start out conservative for one basis UOA, but then extend out perhaps 5-10k miles at a time, to work towards the ROI.

But be forewarned; the ROI is often pretty far out there when using peremium products, relative to the conventional alternatives.

Truck was due for an oil change so I did that last night. While it was draining I added an FS-2500 bypass filter that I had on the shelf waiting to be installed. The entire installation was a piece of cake and goes on very easily. I got an oil sample prepared to send in and mailed it today. Also changed the fuel filter. I do that every other oil change.

I'm looking forward to hearing back from Blackstone.

Got the UOA w/TBN report back today. Still looks good, although curious about the lead and viscosity comment. Glad to see that there was less fuel in this sample. We'll see how it goes in another 6,000 miles.

"Comments:

PAUL: Lead spiked in this sample and since most wear metals stayed steady, we
hope it's just a particle streak. If so, lead should drop next time. In this sample, the viscosity was thinner than a 15W/40 and the flashpoint was a little low. Less fuel
was found than in your last sample, so that wasn't responsible for the lower viscosity. Insolubles were low at 0.2% (good oil filtration). TBN read strong at 6.6 showing plenty of active additive remaining. Try 6,000 miles next.

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 2
IRON 16
COPPER 3
LEAD 11
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 52
NICKEL 2
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 9
SILICON 6
SODIUM 5
CALCIUM 1504
MAGNESIUM 1032
PHOSPHORUS 1279
ZINC 1556
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 63.7
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 11.25
Flashpoint in °F 410
Fuel % 0.5
Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN 6.6 "

The small spike is nothing major at this point. It's a "take another look" opportunity; not a reason to panic.

Everything else is steady. Pb is likely a particle streak, etc. Pb, like the other metals, does see sigma variation in the numbers.

Stay the course; test again in 5-6k miles.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The small spike is nothing major at this point. It's a "take another look" opportunity; not a reason to panic.

Everything else is steady. Pb is likely a particle streak, etc. Pb, like the other metals, does see sigma variation in the numbers.

Stay the course; test again in 5-6k miles.

Thank you. The next sample will be the first to include the FS-2500 bypass filter in the equation. At the rate I'm putting on miles, that will be sometime next spring.

With the bypass filter, you'll need to push our your OCIs to meet some ROI. I suspect you can really go much futher.

Keep us posted as you progress.

The engine looks good, although if the PB trends upwards that's not good in main bearing terms. Probably just a particle streak.
The oil looks like a cheap one with not much Calcium or Boron, those two are needed to prevent sludge, but if the TBN holds up that might not be of much concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back