1994 Volvo 945 / Q8 T1000D Dino 10w30 @8000 Km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, this is my new report for my old Volvo.

This Volvo 940 only run cold for 5 to 10 km trip. The biggest trip is 60 km twice a month... Red block B200F engine.

The oil is a tractor oil, Q8 T1000D, base group I (http://www.oils.am/home/242.html)

Filter is a PureOne PL14670

The head was replaced during oil change by a second hand one.

Previous UOA is here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3243294

141022120038996252.jpg

1. Fist the good news: the Pureone give a better filtration than the Mann used previously (see previous UOA with PC), for the same price

Now the bad news:

2. High silicon: The air filter is a Volvo one, and it is the same than in the previous OCI. I used some silicon gasket for the head cover, which can explain the higher score. But anyway, Silicon is still high... I don't know why ...

I supposed the engine is eating salt (See Na) and sand during used in winter in Sweden, but is strange it pass threw the air filter...

So no idea...

3. High iron: no high associated Cr and Al, so I think it is not cylinders and camshaft.,

4. High Cu: There is Tin also, so combined with the high iron, I suspect valves/guide problem with the new old head... Why ? I don't know...

5. Viscosity drop: knwon problem with this low quality base...

Comments are welcome !

I was wondering whether an oil with 1,9%w. Sulphated ash is suitable for a gas engine in the long run...(regular ACEA a3/b4 oils are around 1%w. with ACEA upper limit being 1,6%w.)

How come the sample ended with TBN of 8,1 (with starting 10,1mgKOH/g for the fresh oil) after 8K km. while the previous samples show a much plausible drop at almost the same OCI?

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Could the cylinder head replacement have anything to do with the high silicon content?

The replacement was done with the old oil in, then the engine were started and warmed and the oil changed after that, so all the dirt from the operation should have gone away. I just see the use of silicon for the head cover to explain the extra value. But anyway, it is high since the beginning of UOAs...

Originally Posted By: Rollins
I was wondering whether an oil with 1,9%w. Sulphated ash is suitable for a gas engine in the long run...(regular ACEA a3/b4 oils are around 1%w. with ACEA upper limit being 1,6%w.)

Those engines come from the seventies and on the old 240 manuals you can see API SF oil requirement for example, so no problem.

The only concern could be lambdasond life, but the engine does'nt eat oil, so...

Originally Posted By: Rollins
How come the sample ended with TBN of 8,1 (with starting 10,1mgKOH/g for the fresh oil) after 8K km. while the previous samples show a much plausible drop at almost the same OCI?

I added 1 liter du to an oil leak this time, so TBN should be a litle higher than previously, but as you notice, 8.1 seems high...

On a 200,000+ mile Volvo, all those #'s look great to me. 20 ppm silicon is nothing - a tiny gap in the air filter seal will do more than that. I'd be more concerned with the rest of the car frankly. It's 17 years old and driven in the winter - how's the body and frame - rust-wise?

The body is OK, the car has spent the half of his life in Italy, so the only problem is now the front paint that is sand blasted by following the others cars in winter on sanded roads...

Now it will be time to change the clutch... The engine does'nt eat oil but I have an oil leak on the crank in the clutch bell. So everything should be good after that for an other 200 k miles
smile.gif

'This Volvo 940 only run cold for 5 to 10 km trip. The biggest trip is 60 km twice a month... Red block '

I would recommend using an electric engine heater. Been using it on my volvo 740 nearly every day for more than 20 years.
Here in Sweden electricity is cheaper than gas (petrol).
Saves fuel, quicker engine warm up, less engine ware etc

I have one, the problem is I am not taking the car always at the same time, so the engine is warm only one time in the day
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back