1994 toyota camry dead engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know someone that has a 94 camry with 79k miles in exellent condition that is untill last tuesday.
There daughter jenny was driving it to collage this year and she was bringing her stuff home from school and the engine 4cylinder 2.2L kicked the #3 rod out the side
frown.gif
It put a huge hole in the block what is sad is it only has 79k miles and her mom is really ****** as she just bought that car last september for $4000 because it was in such great conditon.
I don't know what happened but i think that she overreved the engine causing it to kick the rod.
I don't think it was a oil related thing as the rod bearing journal is still smooth and not scored up and the rod bolts are sheared clean off the rod anyway we picked up a used engine and i am in the prosess of putting it in this weekend i will keep you guys posed on the progress.

quote:

Originally posted by Ironduke4:
I don't know what happened but i think that she overreved the engine causing it to kick the rod.

I'm assuming that this engine is fuel-injected because it's a 1994 model.

If so, it is almost guaranteed that the computer has a rev-limiter built into it.

The only way she could have overreved the engine if that is true is if it's a manual and she did an ill-advised downshift (like 2nd gear at 70MPH). Then there is nothing the computer can do to keep the engine from overspeeding.

Yes, I second Brianl's comments.

With the 4cyl engine clocked about 79k before it decided to throw a rod, the cause it most likely due to human error (fatal error, that is).

I've seen many EFI engines throw their con rods due to kids over-revving the engine (EG/EK6, street drag, etc.) Toyota Camry's engine, to my knowledge, has always been built conservatively. So long as the operator operates it in a conservative manner with all maintenance and services done, they shall last a long, long time.

I have a schoolmate who, because of his idiotic action, slammed into reverse while his Camry LE (4cyl) in 30kms/hr motion and that killed the 4-spd auto reverse gear instantly.

He ended up spending some $$ putting in a wrecker unit.

kids these days *sigh*

Its multi port fuel injected and it has an overdrive auto trans.
It's really wierd that this happened to a 79k mile engine when i am all done with the car i am going to do a post mortem inspection on the old engine and see what i can find out about it.
What's really wierd is i had a 78 corolla that i got from the nieghbor back in 1987 it was my first car they were going to junk it so my dad bought it from them for $30.
It had a 3KC engine that spun a rod bearing and it had 79k miles
shocked.gif
just like this camry when it kicked a rod very wierd.
My dad and i rebuilt that engine in the spring of 1988 it ran real nice when we were done.

You should be able to find an engine in the junkyard. I have noticed that the junkyards that are in the computer inventory system sell parts a little higher than the ones who are not. I would try some of the smaller yards first, then if you can't find anything then go to this site. www.car-part.com.
cheers.gif

11 year old car with 79000 miles. I would probably venture to say that the oil wasn't changed properly or the motor was defective from the factory and just finally gave in.

It makes me wounder if it had a detonation issue from substandard gas? It is preety duffacult to shear rod bolts on a low performnace OEM application like this 2.2I4! I would dump her gas and check the cooling system etc....

I got the old engine out on sunday and wow what a big hole in the block
shocked.gif
you can sick you hand in it.
I should have the new one in by this weekend i probably would have it in by now if it weren't for the million wires and hoses
mad.gif
i hope all goes well and the new (used) engine runs good.

You mention it was a used car, I have a feeling a neglectful owner owned at one time or another over its 11 year life span. Anything can go wrong with a car at any time at this age. $4k seems steep for an old car even with the "coveted" Toyota name.

The only problems that I've seen with these engines have been a rod knock that turns into a thrown rod. I've had two friends with Toyotas that have had thrown rods off the 1.6 liter engine. One had a rod knock that threw the rod after about 500 miles of it. The other had it knock and throw in less than a mile. Both had full oil changed regularly before this happened.

The person who had his knocking for 500 miles had his go when he was trying to get on the highway, it was only about 4000 rpm in second gear as he told me.

The only time I have seen a rod thrown in a non-raceing application in a Toyota not counting hydro-lock was due to thrust washer/bearing wear. IF the $2.75 part is changed when it start to make some rod know noise the engine will run forever. The 22RE's in 4x4 if used hard all the time would wear the thrust washer/bearing by about 180,000-250,000 mile and the rod would knock. Now on 22RE's used under normal conditions it was not an issue.

The guys with 20R and 22R's and 22RE's turning huge tires, doing a lot of heavy towing or raceing would encounter this occasionaly. It did not happen often. I noticed it happened most in these applications when useing 5W30 adn 10W30. Now the viscoisity of the oil could very well have been unrelated but in Georgia's heat I always saw the above clusted together when I saw this happen.

So when tearing into the bottom end look for a tarnished copper/bronze bushing on one of the mains. It will proably have deep scoreing fromt he thrust.

Those smaller engines are very sensitive to overheating. The plastic top radiators often developed small leaks at the crimp, leading to slow but steady loss of coolant.

The loss of coolant eventually leads to overheating, overheating burns the engine up and the tossed rod is the most common result.

The older toyota engines are darn
near bulletproof but not immortal.

I know where there is a near mint 91 v6 that just needs a new block. See, it has this really large hole in the side of the block.....

No low coolant light on those models or does the level in the radiator drop without a corresponding drop in the overflow tank? (I've heard you should never assume that because the overflow tank is at the full mark that the radiator is too).

Junkyar up here is littered with 2.2 Camry's from that vintage. Friend just robbed a tranny from a 93, car had 121,xxx miles on it and he got lucky, tranny was a reman installed at 85K miles.

Well the new engine is in but i still have to finish hooking up eveything.
I got a lot of the wires and hoses reinstalled but i still have a ways to go i should have it all done by saturday though.
I can't wait to hear it run
grin.gif

I got the engine all finished today and it started right up and it runs good no big block roar in this one just nice and quiet.
All i need to do to it is put in new spark plugs i got denso U groove plugs and set the ignition timing and i am all done
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ironduke4:
Well the new engine is in but i still have to finish hooking up eveything.
I got a lot of the wires and hoses reinstalled but i still have a ways to go i should have it all done by saturday though.
I can't wait to hear it run
grin.gif

Big block roar....oh wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back