1994 Mazda 626 - running ARX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sprintman
Shell said "no ester". Are they liars?

I presume Shell oil contains ZDDP. It's been said here that ZDDP comes in an ester. I'm not an expert, so I am wondering if that's true.

You might try switching to a high mileage oil to see if it helps. Mobil 1 Hm oils have a killer additive package. Very high detergent level and maybe the seal conditioner in it could help with the smoke.

Valvoline Maxlife would be another choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: moribundman
A girl I knew once said she was "a little pregnant."

Was her name Ester?
cheers3.gif

Well the product that doesn't work has caused such a reduction in oil flow to the top end (lifters) 3,100 kms into this first 10,000 km clean phase I have booked a filter change for this Wednesday. I have 18 oz of RX in a 4.2 quart sump, (overbasing RX) and the noise indicates that maybe my 10,000 km clean is a optimistic. Probably have to cut it back to 8,000 kms (5,000 miles) or even 6,000 kms (4,200 miles) unless I cahange filters regularly, but they are cheap. It's just great having three vehicles to experiment with.

Sprintman, you are basically running the double dose, or fast track application. This application was designed for faster cleaning, recommending only about 1000 miles, before draining and jumping into the rinse mode. I have no doubt that the oil filter is likely blinded at this point. Let us know how well the process goes after your filter change, so we may guage whether or not rinsing at this point would be the better route.

Beyond blinding up the filter with contaminants, any noticeable improvements in the motor, prior to experiencing the poor oil flow to the top end?

270,000+kms runs better than ever. Getting the brakes done tomorrow and the guy who test drove it wanted to know what I had done to the engine. I have blocked the radiator off almost completely as of two days ago with pizza box so the engine gets to a high temperature quickly even on the frosty Canberra mornings. I'm starting to believe engine heat could be more important than oil type but it's early days. Great having three test vehicles.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
270,000+kms runs better than ever. Getting the brakes done tomorrow and the guy who test drove it wanted to know what I had done to the engine. I have blocked the radiator off almost completely as of two days ago with pizza box so the engine gets to a high temperature quickly even on the frosty Canberra mornings. I'm starting to believe engine heat could be more important than oil type but it's early days. Great having three test vehicles.

While your attitude could use some work, I appreciate your efforts. It is nice to see someone out there experimenting. Good luck.

Oil flow is the other variable that makes ARX work faster. Some spirited runs and highway miles is a good thing. Not to say that it won't do a good job putting about the city.

I'm sure that it boils down to required at temp dwell time. For most people that's the last 1/3 of the normal driving event. Sustained high speed driving should sling the oil to all the surfaces that get limited oil contact.

Sprintman really pushes the envelope, but probably gets more than his money's worth out of it. Given the cost of the stuff in Oz$ after the freight and tariffs ..I can't blame him.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I'm sure that it boils down to required at temp dwell time. For most people that's the last 1/3 of the normal driving event. Sustained high speed driving should sling the oil to all the surfaces that get limited oil contact.

Sprintman really pushes the envelope, but probably gets more than his money's worth out of it. Given the cost of the stuff in Oz$ after the freight and tariffs ..I can't blame him.

I second that!http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/images/icons/default/thumbs_up.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back