1994 Honda Accord - high mileage or syn oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

As I mentioned in another post, I'll be taking delivery of a 2010 Honda Civic EX-L this summer, and I'm selling my 1994 Honda Accord EX (LX in the U.S.) to my in laws.

Now, I plan on getting the oil changed before I sell it to them, and they are the type that do not do proper oil changes. All they do is top up the oil when needed, and never really completely drain it.

Ever since I've owned the Accord, I've been using Castrol GTX High Mileage 5W-30. I planned on just getting an oil change with this, but I started to think, maybe I should get it done with a synthetic, due to the longer OCIs it will be undergoing.

What I'm worried about though, is that since the engine is used to the high mileage oil, would a synthetic cause issues around the old seals and whatnot?

What are your thoughts on this? Should I just fill it with whatever has been working and wash my hands of it, or what?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mobil 1 5w30EP... An excellent synthetic. Good for a year or 15,000K OCI's.

Filter: Mobil 1...for extended OCI's....

Should be good for at least a year... and get them through the winter. A once a year OCI should work fine for those who do not keep up with regular maintainance.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 works great in my 94 Accord. It can handle long OCI and has the added benefit of great cold weather properties.

Check and/or replace the pcv valve before you give them the car.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Mobil 1 5w30EP. Good for a year or 15,000 OCI's.

Filter: Mobil 1...for extended OCI's

I found my Accord ran noisy with the M1 5W30. The one time I tried it I ended up dumping it very early.

The above are both good suggestions, you could also go with a combination of both your ideas and go with M1 High Mileage or Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic (if you can find it in your area)

How many miles?
Our '97 is of the same generation, and has 170K at the moment.
No leaks and no noticeable consumption, so no need for anything other than whatever oil you want to put in it.
A syn labeled oil certainly wouldn't hurt it.

Originally Posted By: mva
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Mobil 1 5w30EP. Good for a year or 15,000 OCI's.

Filter: Mobil 1...for extended OCI's

I found my Accord ran noisy with the M1 5W30. The one time I tried it I ended up dumping it very early.

Then try Mobil 1 0w20 or 0w30...might be better for your climate.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I never encountered any unusual oil consumption with this car, and it has 275,000 km on it right now.

Hmmm, maybe I will give either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil a shot.

Thanks!

Avoid selling the car to the in-laws, specially when they neglect changing oil and other maintenances. If the car brake down in future they will blame you for selling it to them. If you still want to sell it to the in-laws, clearly tell them that you did the oil change with xxx oil and they need to maintain the car as needed.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Change it with GTX as usual and wash your hands of it.

Put your energy into the new Civic, let the in-laws "do what they do" with the old Accord.

Yeah, I thought about it some more after I posted last, and I think I'll stick with what has been working in it; Castrol GTX High Mileage 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Avoid selling the car to the in-laws, specially when they neglect changing oil and other maintenances. If the car brake down in future they will blame you for selling it to them. If you still want to sell it to the in-laws, clearly tell them that you did the oil change with xxx oil and they need to maintain the car as needed.

Not really an option, as I already promised it to them. However, I made sure they knew I was selling it to them for $500 less than I would have been asking for it elsewhere.

I definitely plan on telling them what I've been using, and that I highly recommend continuing with the same oil. Other than that, there's really nothing I can do.

Thanks all!

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Change it with GTX as usual and wash your hands of it.

Put your energy into the new Civic, let the in-laws "do what they do" with the old Accord.

^^2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back