1994 GMC Sierra 3500 2WD gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just looked 1994 GMC Sierra 3500 2WD gas model and felt in love with it. It's a Quad-cab with plenty of room and a big bed as well. It's not a dually or 4WD, which helps with the gas but could be a draw-back in the snow. It has 150k on the odometer, assuming it's working. The asking price is 1875 dollars.

How do I check if something is in good working order. It has all of the gauge such as oil pressure gauge. I never have cars with such gauge so I wouldn't know where the gauge should be. I check the oil and it is at a good level but it is very oil. The engine sounds good but the oil is very black, probably from sitting awhile before this guy bought it at an auction. I'll do a couple of short 5W20 OCI before putting 5W30 or 5W40 in it. I probably stick with dino and short OCI because I don't want it to start leaking from being cleaned up by synthetic. I just want something to lubricate well and protect the engine.

Since it's a stick, I can't drive it yet because I haven't driven a stick since I passed my driving test 10 years ago. The owner did gave me a quick drive and it shifts fine and the engine is very strong. This is the truck to ends most truck owning ambition since I never see a need for anything bigger or more powerful.

It is not jacked up so that is good because things are severely abused yet. It has a big dent near the tail gate but I think it is mostly cosmetic, probably from hitting something turning fast or someone backing into it.

How do I check a truck out. Thanks.

By the way, I don't know what engine is in it but I believe it is originally engine. It looks clean of oil leak and seem to be in very good shape.

Start by removing the radiator cap when it's cool and look for mud/rust. Pull the oil fill cap off and look for sludge. you can see a couple of rockers here with the cap off.

First,dont use anything thinner than 5w30 which is spec.The usual OCI will be just fine no need for cleanout changes its just not needed in these engines.Clutch engagement should be smooth but abrupt,gear changes will be a bit 'notchy' but firm usual in trucks.The intake manifold gaskets and EGR are about the worst things I can think of (other than rust)that would be a normal pain in the $%@$#% with these trucks.The fuel pump is in the tank and will normally fail before 200k,but it should give a notice.Electrical grounds.Reground all straps,and at the starter.Also do a compression check and coolant pressure check just to be on the safe side.Smaller things like vacuum leaks ,low voltage,A/C that dosent work can all be remedied real cheap,too.But generally these trucks can be MacGyver'd pretty easily.

It should be very similar to my 1989 except you have 5 speed.
The fact that it is not a dually or 4x4 with a TBI 454, which is most likely what it is (a very small percentag have a 350 small block) is not going to save you any gas. 8 mpg on a good day. You are in the land of big blocks (or small blocks) with some miles on it. Run a quality 10W-30 or 40. I have run 10W-30 in mine for the past 110,000 miles. I am at 190,000 now and good portion of that towing. The TBI will develop a leak around the throttle shaft as they get older. Really dosen't hurt anything but you will lose some power and fuel economy. I finally broke down and bought a ported rebuilt unit for my truck this past year for my trip to Yellowstone.
They have no exhaust mainfold gaskets from the factory. Look to see if they have been installed. I did mine years back, because after a bunch of summer towing it developed a nice exhaust leak tick. It will either have the Dana 60 or Factor 14 bolt rearend. Very good unit. Mine has been rock solid. Couple of little things here and there, but ease of maintenance just can't be beat.

keep in mind you are about to purchase a 16 year old vehicle, and in all respects, some of your questions are basic when it comes to car repair. Please, no offense meant. This could be a great opportunity to learn, and this is not a huge investment, though $1800 is by no means pocket change.

That said, you should be prepared for nit-n-noid broke-fixes. radiator core, fan clutch, water pump, hose leaks, brake cylinders, etc. may become a regular routine until you get the kinks worked out. Does the A/C work? Will you care if it doesn't? A/C repair alone can be $1200 if the dash has to come out.

This sounds like one big-a$$ truck. If it were me, at that age, I might consider a smaller one that isn't quite as intimidating to work on, tho I imagine parts will be fairly cheap.

Good luck, whichever way you go.

Meep

I know there isn't a huge difference, but don't se 5W-20 in an old 350 like that. 5W-30 minimum, and I'd be inclined to use a HM 5W-30 for bit more viscosity.

Yeah, yeah, I know this line always comes up, but do you really NEED a 3500 Quad-Cab truck??? Gas prices are going no-where but up, and unless you've started a job/hobby where a truck is a must, why do you suddenly need a full-size truck?

It doesn't matter 2WD, 4WD, AWD - no truck gets good gas mileage, espcially not one this big!

First of all, I like to thank you everyone for your replies and feedbacks/advices. I really appreciate.

Of course, I don't need a truck this big but I do need a truck with 4 doors quad-cab to be used as a family vehicle for long road trip, where a camper be may attached or towed. Most trucks, smaller or newer, that I see with quad-cab are in the $9k+ price range and many have rebuilt transmission or motor. I know many people with older American trucks and those things seem to go and go, with minor repairs along the way but nothing major.

Given that this truck is under $2k and will practically prevent the need for anything larger in the future, that is a big plus. I have always wanted to have a side business such as grass cutting, gun show vendor, or working at a farmer market part time. I have a full-time good paying gig and like to keep that day job. But it is always a plus to have a back-up. This could be a reasonable investment. I know a lot of people going out and buy a slightly used truck when they start a grass cutting business or a fresh new truck when they have some business such as catering, construction, etc.

Personally, I also like a big truck to have as a toy to be used on some weekend, possibly taking a trip to the mountain with my family. A 4x4 would have been a plus but that just mean we won't be taking this one when the weather is bad.

There are also 2 other aspects regarding this truck. I like to have something to used as a bug out vehicle. I needs to haul 6 people comfortably with plenty of room for food, water, supplies, and gun/ammo without a need for a trailer. I would be building a wooden box or buy a used metal cage for the bed. Another aspect is for extra security at the house when such a large truck is parked there. We have only 2 personal vehicles and they are used almost every day because my wife works part-time. I want a big truck parked at the house to give a impression that someone is home. I am more concerned about my wife returning home during an robberies than the loss of property.

This truck would help me get back into learning how to drive a stick. I am debating on how to arrange insurance for it if I do get it. I won't be using it more than once a week, and possibly less than 2k miles a year. I can't register it as a antique yet.

I am also looking at another truck, much closer to the house. It is a 84 Chevy with th350 auto transmission and 4x4. It is only a 1500 and regular cab and being much older. With that one, the engine is a jasper. If I go that route, I would definitely add winch and some industrial tow/haul package to make some quick money pulling people out of ditch in winter.

Currently, money is not tight but because of the uncertainty in the economy and job market, I have to really think about car purchase. I am driving a 92 Corolla and my wife drives a 02 Accord. The kbb for this truck is actually $2400-$3900.

No the A/C doesn't blow cold and the owner says it just need be to be recharged. He's a farmer and flip vehicle as part time gig. So I would list the A/C as not working because he could easily spend $50 on a recharge kit to do it. It cost me $34 for the small kit for my Honda and my Corolla only require the $20 can because the hose is re-usable.

Yeah, the 5W20 oil usage in the beginning does sound crazy. I probably would go with 5W30 that I have currently and switch to 5W40 after that. I am hesitant to go with 0W40 from M1 or any synthetic oil because I don't want leak to start because things are cleaned up. I just want good lubrication and protection.

I am telling a SBC or 454 of that era will not like the 5W-30, but hey what do I know I have only owned three and my current one has 190,000 miles on it. If it is a Small block plan on about 15 mpg no matter what. A little less when towing.
If it is a 454 plan on 8 to 10 mpg no matter how many tires, gearing or towing.
In the 10 years I have owned my 89 I have replaced the fan clutch
32 dollars, the water pump new 42 dollars, 1 ball joint 20 dollars, 1 radiator 300 dollars, the TBI this past summer 400 dollars, some hoses and fluids. That was in 110,000 miles after 80,000 thousand. It tows all the time and the owner before me towed a 30 foot 5th wheel with it for 8 years.
Everything on the dang thing is so cheap and easy to work on it.
TBI is the easiest fuel injection to troubleshoot. You have one 02 sensor, 1 temp sensor, 1 TPS, and 1 AIS.
The one I had before that was a 6 lug 3/4 ton 350, 700R4, got it from the neighbors who bought it new. I got it with 160,000 miles on it. The transmission finally [censored] out at 230,000 and the fluid had never been changed. I had to do just normal maintenance on that truck, the original owners never really had to do much to it either.

I don't know what engine it has in it. I doubt the owner knows because he bought it at an auction. I know it's looks very much like the one in the video and it is a V8 gas model. How do I check what it has? Would a vin yield that. If I can get 13 mpg, I would be happy, 15 mpg would be pure joy. It is not a 4x4 which leaves me incomplete.

If he's flipping this he's already added value, it's probably a lot of money for what you get.

Who knows what's jury-rigged just long enough to sell?

You're going to haul guns in an open bed? Seriously?

Also consider an empty conversion van, it will do most of what you want to do and the resale on them plummets very quickly.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If he's flipping this he's already added value, it's probably a lot of money for what you get.

Who knows what's jury-rigged just long enough to sell?

You're going to haul guns in an open bed? Seriously?

Also consider an empty conversion van, it will do most of what you want to do and the resale on them plummets very quickly.

I'll have a metal cage built for the truck. I saw one, almost new that was meant as an outdoor tool walk-in storage for 500. It is too big for the truck because it is meant as a job-site box but it was made out of thick metal like those POD box. If I have to haul [censored] when the D.C. zombie comming, I am taking my arsenal with me.

A bit O/T, but I had to share:

I guy on the block I live on (I don't know him) bought what I 'think' is an old CN 'train truck' - on of the ones that has had train wheels mounted on it to run on the tracks.

Its something like the truck you are looking at - a big, 4-door, mid-1990's GMC truck. I don't know if it's b/c of the mounting of train wheels on it, but the wheels on this thing are HUGE and SKINNY! Man are they tall, and they look darn heavy.

It was white with orange reflective stripes, but he sanded all that off, and has painted it flat primer black. It now looks like an old army truck.

I think it has a SBC under the hood, and it seems to run pretty good....I see it driving around a fair bit. The tires and wheels on it intrigue me, thought - they must be some form of 'industrial' wheel/tire combo - they aren't stuff you but at a tire store!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
A bit O/T, but I had to share:

I guy on the block I live on (I don't know him) bought what I 'think' is an old CN 'train truck' - on of the ones that has had train wheels mounted on it to run on the tracks.

Its something like the truck you are looking at - a big, 4-door, mid-1990's GMC truck. I don't know if it's b/c of the mounting of train wheels on it, but the wheels on this thing are HUGE and SKINNY! Man are they tall, and they look darn heavy.

It was white with orange reflective stripes, but he sanded all that off, and has painted it flat primer black. It now looks like an old army truck.

I think it has a SBC under the hood, and it seems to run pretty good....I see it driving around a fair bit. The tires and wheels on it intrigue me, thought - they must be some form of 'industrial' wheel/tire combo - they aren't stuff you but at a tire store!

That's one of the reason I am looking at this truck. It has the potential to be converted into jack-truck. Being 2WD, it is better on gas but that rule out much of other fun.

The size difference between the small block 350 and the big block 454 is pretty obvious when you pop open the hood. Study some pictures on Google Images or YouTube and then go take another look. The biggest giveaway is the valve covers, they are much larger on the big block.

Sounds like a fun truck if you aren't going to drive it a ton! Gas mileage will be awful but oh well
smile.gif

For $1875, I'd probably buy it, if I had a need for a truck.

I think it's a small block because there is plenty of space in the engine bay. I plan on installing 2 extra batteries for some winch or accessory.

If it's a small block, what kind of gas mileage am I looking at?

There is plenty of space in 454 engine bay too!
You still haven't convinced me you know what you are looking at.
You made me walk outside and take some pictures of mine.
bbc2nu.jpg

bbc1x.jpg

bbc5.jpg

bbc4.jpg

Big block valve covers and exhaust manifolds are a lot different
You have to look at the valve covers and exhaust manifolds, the TBI and intake plumbing look almost the same.
Your 2WD will not even show better gas mileage over the 4x4. I have owned both and they got identical gas mileage. You are talking TBI here.
Still need to know. BBC or SBC BBC 8 to 10, SBC 12 to 15 depends on gears and how heavy your foot is.
I averaged 8 MPG towing 8000 lbs from Washington State to Yellowstone and back this past summer in my 89 1 Ton. I get 10 unloaded...uphill, downhill, idling, etc etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back