1994 ford sho

Status
Not open for further replies.
any ideas on best weight oil to usefor a 1994 ford taurus sho. i dont really beat on it but i do sometimes run it up to its 7k+ redline. im guessing i should run syn over dino but any suggestions would be helpfull. thanks

Do you know the oil brand history of that engine? If it's got sludge, you could have some seal problems that will be revealed when you switch to synthetic oil. Pan and rear main leaks have been my experience when changing a higher mileage engine to synthetic. If it's had synthetic all its life, Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 is a fine choice. If it's had conventional oil, Havoline seems to have a lot of love on this forum.

COW; no offence but this car has zero book value ,use any API SM ILSAC GF-4 oil you can find on sale. You dont state how many miles are on it if its over 100,000 i would use 10w30 all year long.

yeah, but being fwd and tough to source engine parts for it doesn't have the fan base it used to enjoy.

xW40 in the summer, delo/delvac
xW30 in the winter.

That engine was designed with 5W30 in mind. That is what I would use, especially in your climate. Unless you have reason to believe otherwise, use 5W30.

By the way, the like to shoclub references the V8 SHO, not your V6. They are very different engines although the information really pretty much applies to most any engine.

While much of the info is on the V8 there is info on the V6..Also as you stated, information for most engines can be had in the articles.

Sorry B_J the info didn't pass your muster. I'll try harder next time. Also B_J, you think the guy doesn't know the difference and needed you to point that out?

Must be special to be the smartest kid in the class
lol.gif

Oh By the way, both engines are spec'd for 5W-30

What a bunch of smug A$$ board members.

A guy asks for info and his car gets belittled by one poster, another trashes it for its FWD and parts availability, and another poster assumes the owner of the car doesn't know the engine type and or cannot read. Unreal

How did I trash his car?
It IS an older FWD "enthusiast" car (with no LSD) that is difficult to find parts for.
These 2(-3) reasons kept many enthusiasts away from the SHO.
While it maybe a "collector's car" it's still not highly desired.
My 323GTX falls into the same category but I'd say more people are looking for one of those as opposed to a SHO.
Rarety doesn't mean "collectability", demand plays into that....

My buddy sent his SHO off to the junkyard after no one would buy it, and it even had the uber-rare factory fiberglass hood.
A rare POS is still a POS....

quote:

Originally posted by cowsareholy:
any ideas on best weight oil to usefor a 1994 ford taurus sho. i dont really beat on it but i do sometimes run it up to its 7k+ redline. im guessing i should run syn over dino but any suggestions would be helpfull. thanks

If the oil pressure is within factory specifications, use what's recommended in the manual which is 5w30, IIRC. Quality synthetics handle temperature extremes better and may keep your engine cleaner. But unless you push the oil temps, or live in a very cold climate, any 5w30 SM/GF-4 should be adequate for shorter OCIs (read severe service mileage as defined in the service manual).

gtx510: i agree 100% with want you are saying these cars have zero retail value. A friend of mine was given one with only 61,000 miles on it , he then tried to sell it and could not give it away. These cars are known to be junk , with none stop problems

ok i understand some people dont like the sho and most dont know what they are. i happen to really like the car, its quite fast and handles great. as for how it was mantained by the last owner i have a stack of all the repair and maintenance slips for it. its thicker than the last book i read. i have every oil change slip and there all 3k to3.5k. i also have the first owners slips which were just oil changes as he only had it 18k miles. they guy i got it from is a cop in my town and he kept it super maintained. it has new bearings with about 10k on them a new reman tranny from ford with 25k on it it just had a timing belt, water pump, head gaskets, valve gaskets, intake gaskets, the rear main seal was done when the new tranny was put in, valve lash was done. there is more but the papers are in the car right now. the only reason he sold it to me was because he bought a new honda accord. if i were him i would of drove the car long enough to get my money back on it for all the work that was done. in the past 1.5 years he put a **** of a lot more money into it than i payed.he didnt just fix what broke he did preventive maintenance as well. it had 100234 miles on it when i got it and i put on about 3k so far. i did have to put a speed sensor in it but thats about it for now. i plan on keeping it for as long as i can so i guess ill use 5w30 syn into for now on. as for the parts being really had to get auto zone and advance auto has just about every thing you would need and the parts they dont carry are very easy to get online for a good price. sorry about any spelling errors thats a very weak point for me as well as grammer. when i checked out this fourm i didnt think i would get flamed asking a simple question but i guess i was wrong. im just gonna check out any replys on this and after that im done with this fourm

[ September 14, 2006, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: cowsareholy ]

cows,
it sounds like a well maintained car to me. i see plenty of older taurus cars on the road around here, even the occasional SHO. as would apply to just about any car, if it has been taken care of, it is likely to have quite a bit left in it. if it is going up to 7k on the tach with no problems, that is even better. all that matters is whether YOU like driving it.

it it was me, i would go with dino 5w-30 or 10w-30 for a 5,000 mile interval, and see how it goes.

regards,
jett rink in bristol

**** i ask what kind of oil i should use and im told my car is junk that its a pos its worthless. wow this forum is great. i cant wait to ask more simple questions ill probably be told dont even change the oil the cars junk just let it blow up and take the loss

quote:

Originally posted by cowsareholy:

I'd run Castrol Syntec 5w40 in it, if it doesn't have any oil leaks. If it does, I'd run Valvoline Maxlife synthetic 10w40 in it.

Many will say you should run a 30wt, which is probably fine, but you did mention you run it to RL fairly often, thus my 40wt recommendation.

With that said, Super-Tech dino oil in 10w30 or 10w40 is as good as you'll NEED, but what fun is that?
wink.gif

p.s. Don't let the bickering in this post wear on you. There are a lot of great folks at BITOG, willing to help you with your oil decisions.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back