1994 Chevy Corsica Oil Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Student of mine has this car with 120k. The valves sound like they are going to come through the head (lots of ticking). The engine uses a copiuos amount of oil. I told her to use a 20w50 in it and pray for the best. Any other ideas (monograde, stp, etc)?

Thanks guys

Best to get a diagnosis from Mr. Goodwrench or other competent shop. It doesn't mean she has to authorize any work or repairs.

Is it a 3.1 (or ancient 2.8)? Piston slap, maybe? Corsica might still survive despite infernal racket.

If its a 3.1 the chances are almost 100% it has an intake gasket leak. Thus engine was the worst ever produced by G.M. As was said-roll it off a cliff.

I've had pretty good luck with the 3.1/2.8 (same engine, different stroke). Keep in mind the year guys They've changed the intake design several times. I got 186,000 without too many problems. I thought the worst GM engine was the quad four?

-T

I always thought GM's biggest blunders were the Vega motor, or the Cadillac 4-6-8

dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
I've had pretty good luck with the 3.1/2.8 (same engine, different stroke). Keep in mind the year guys They've changed the intake design several times. I got 186,000 without too many problems. I thought the worst GM engine was the quad four?

-T

Well-that may be true but the problem existed in the older design 3.1 (1994) it was present in the modified 1996. I know for sure the problem exists in year 2000 3.1 and 3.4.

Patman you beat me to it yet again! I was going to mention the 4-6-8. What amazes me is how GM is trying to make it sound like displacement on demand is something new! I guess the young ignorant engineers that are working for them these days have never heard of the 4-6-8. I am sure the hydralic lifter deactivation combined with electronic fuel shut off of one entire bank will work better though!

THe 4-6-8 was a vaccum line nightmare! I can just imagine now how well this new system is going to work once sludge or even varnis builds up from the cheap 5W30. With their new longer oil life algorithms I am sure that this system will cause a lot of grief out of warranty at around 120,000 miles!

Could be the Tech 4. Not a bad little engine. My daughter's 2 door version 90 Beretta was still going strong at about 200K. Yeah, try the ARX.

4-6-8

strong 6.0 iron block, 368 cu in i believe

works great when you pull the 4-6-8 module and make it run straight 8 all the time!

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
Could be the Tech 4. Not a bad little engine. My daughter's 2 door version 90 Beretta was still going strong at about 200K. Yeah, try the ARX.

Unfortunately the "Iron Duke" was fazed out in 92/93, so this is either a 2.2 or 3.1. Your right thought, the 2.5 is indestructable. Currently 183k on mine.

-T

If it has the 2.2 4 cyl. engine, the timing chain probably needs to be replaced. This explains the slapping/ticking noise. Straightforward job for a DIYer. Takes about a day to do.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back