1994 Chevrolet cavalier RS Tune up/break job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so this weekend I'm doing pads and rotors and a spark plug change on my car and I need some advice on some things. First things first spark plugs I have bosch plugs in it now and it runs like [censored] and get bad gas mileage and I was thinking about AC Delco rapidfire spark plugs to replace the bosch plugs. And now onto the breaks I have no idea what pads or rotors got get but I'm still looking. Any help would be awesome!

I would use plain jane AC Delco plugs or Champion copper core plugs. From my experiences with Cavaliers these are the best plugs to put in them.

I second the Bosch comment. I have never had luck with their stuff.
thumbsup2.gif

Get regular rotars, but get the ceramic brake pads... You will pay a bit more, but they are well worth it and will last a long time. I'm running them on my Santa Fe and I have over 70K KM (44K Miles) and they are only 40% worn!
wink.gif
I bought them from Auto-Zone when I was in the US because it was cheaper than up here... Don't remember the brand, but I will be buying them again!

Stick with OEM AC delco spark plugs. back in 2001, I changed out the OEM ac delco plugs in my 96 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L OHV for Bosch platinum. The engine sputtered like crazy instantaneously and a check engine light came on. I took them out, threw them in the garbage, and put the old OEM ac delco plugs back in. everything was back to normal. So I went out and bought a brand new set of oem ac delco plugs and they have been fine for the past 8 yrs/70k miles.

Last edited:
Ceramic pads can be hard on rotors, I wouldn't use them if the rotors are being turned, in that scenario use the semi-metallic. If he is buying new high quality rotors then ceramic pads would be better.

Originally Posted By: kevinf
Ceramic pads can be hard on rotors, I wouldn't use them if the rotors are being turned, in that scenario use the semi-metallic. If he is buying new high quality rotors then ceramic pads would be better.

I suggested Ceramic pads because he said he was getting rotors in his post... Otherwise Semi-Metalic are better for machined rotors like you (Kevinf) said.
thumbsup2.gif

Whatever are the AutoZone Ceramic pads are working great for me... But new rotors only... If turning the rotars then buy a high quality semi-metalic pad.
thumbsup2.gif

I have Raybestos PG pads and rotors on my car. They do exactly what they need to and the price was right.

The top of the line NAPA pads are Raybestos Advanced Technology, and you can't beat the warranty.

The premium pads from any major vendor will do a great job. Be sure to pair them with premium rotors, not the "economy" ones.

As for ceramic pads being hard on rotors, it depends on the brand/model. Some compounds are more aggressive than others, so you shouldn't generalize and say that all ceramic compounds are equally aggressive.

I had a 93 RS wagon (w/ 3.1)

Always run Delco when you get plugs/wires. J bodies are fussy with everything else....

I like NAPA pads/rotors...my cav liked em..

I'm getting NAPA ceramic tru-stops my the Cobalt....

Wife's Cav likes its raybestos pads/rotors....

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The premium pads from any major vendor will do a great job. Be sure to pair them with premium rotors, not the "economy" ones.

As for ceramic pads being hard on rotors, it depends on the brand/model. Some compounds are more aggressive than others, so you shouldn't generalize and say that all ceramic compounds are equally aggressive.

Yeah, I'm starting to hear about ceramic pads being hard on rotors. Last week, I put wagner ceramic pads on my dad's 03 Sentra with the same rotors
shocked2.gif

I was lazy when I put the Ceramic pads on my Santa Fe and didn't turn the rotors and I get a pulsating when coming to a light sometimes... I don't really care, but it does get annoying sometimes.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Yeah, I'm starting to hear about ceramic pads being hard on rotors. Last week, I put wagner ceramic pads on my dad's 03 Sentra with the same rotors
shocked2.gif

Wagner ThermoQuiets?

Have you fixed the headgasket yet?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I was lazy when I put the Ceramic pads on my Santa Fe and didn't turn the rotors and I get a pulsating when coming to a light sometimes... I don't really care, but it does get annoying sometimes.

Not related to the ceramic pads.

I love Hawk brake pads, but for 1/2 the price and a lifetime warranty [plus better specs- FF vs EF] , I got the Autozone premium ceramic pads.
I do not race, but otherwise they are great. Cold or hot great grab power, and no dust.
Rotors? Why cut them when for a little more you can get new rotors?
Plain faced, of course. El Cheapos for $20 are what I just put on my own car, and they were a full pound heavier than the expensive ones. [This is a good thing]
Clean and grease the hub where the rotor seats. Torque is slow - work your way up.
Make sure the calipers slide free, and the pins are well greased.
Give it a fresh bleed at this time. Even a gravity bled is better than nothing.

When you take the caliper off you check the slider bolts by pushing them back and forth in using your thumb and index finger. If it slides easy it's fine... If not remove and grease and put back in.

I have never replaced them on a vehicle... Just have taken them out possibly cleaned them up with a wire-brush and lubricated with some grease and put back in...
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back