1993 BMW Valve Train

Status
Not open for further replies.
(And others, if you want to add your photos too! I also saw the request in the Honda Valve Train pics thread for "more photos," so here goes)

Car has 200,400km (~124k miles) and was doing the Valve Cover Gasket as it has progressed worse than "just seeping" as before.
As I pulled things apart, I gradually realised it was much, more worse than that. Spark Plug wells full of oil, cracked coil boots (Previous owner's mechanic did plugs just 2yrs ago -25K km / 25K miles).

The first 20yrs this car spent its life in the city and was initially BMW serviced. Car mostly does highway driving, with short trips thrown in now and again.
The previous owner then took it to a well-regarded Indy for much of her time, although the final service was with another mechanic whom I found numerous shoddy jobs that it should NEVER have left with (leaky radiator, bad fan clutch, squealing belts).

As previously discussed, before BMW introduced the "LongLife" oil grade in 1998, the service interval was about 12K km or 7.5K miles. This would be with conventional oils in 1993, then BMW "Special Oil" from 1996, followed by the familiar LongLife standards. The LongLife standards allowed a 9,320 mile (15K km) interval due to fully-synthetic oils being used.

Only sludge is that on the VANOS unit and flaky stuff around the oil filler on the valve cover itself (no photos yet, work in progress!). Will clean the cover itself as that stuff is loose and likely to get stuck somewhere it shouldn't someday.

DSC03321_zpslbwa93cp.jpg

DSC03322_zpssrqbpey6.jpg

DSC03323_zpskcmd3rfv.jpg

Not bad. Looks like an M50 thats been run on conventional. A syn wouldn't leave the varnish like that in such few miles.

Originally Posted By: KenO
Not bad. Looks like an M50 thats been run on conventional. A syn wouldn't leave the varnish like that in such few miles.

Let me tell you a story about our 328i....
grin.gif

338iengine03.jpg

Honestly, we have no idea what was run in it outside of the free BMW changes during the first part of its life. But it was UGLY!!! A few more miles (~240,000km IIRC) than the OP's but not much.

My sister's 330i on BMW 5w-30 (with less than half the miles, just over 65,000/120,000Km):
2003330ivcg03.jpg

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Sure could go 7.5k to 9k miles, but do you know the average OCIs? Looks lower than that, imo.

Previous owner (for the 12 years before me) was actually reasonably close family. She bought it particularly because of the economy, reliability and "service reminder" fitted to the car.
She only ever followed the lights on the dash and had it serviced by a retired BMW/Euro mechanic who did "friends and friends of friends" only.
The final mechanic that serviced it was not this one, and he had done several things that were questionable to this car...

After I got the car, I changed whatever was in there after about 6,000km (4K miles), ran M1 for the specified interval, Rotella 5w40 on a short 5,000km (3K miles) before it saw an Indy and has 10w50 now.
Run about 5K km on this oil at present.

Originally Posted By: KenO

I imagine the BMW dealer would have started with the synthetic with the first owner, but the Indy may not have, nor continued with this... I have no physical service history other than the word of my relation, although she's trustworthy and wanted a reliable car.

Given that the VCG really "went to town" after the change to M1, followed by Rotella and now the fully-synthetic Penrite 10w50, I'd say it probably wasn't run on synthetic for much of its life.

That said, it clearly hasn't done the engine much if any harm: Aside from lifter tick - which might be cured/reduced by this, or doing the lower chain tensioner... She's silent as mostly started cold, but starts ticking as it warms up. Thicker oil (50-hot weight) hasn't helped one bit. Rotella was the best thus far...

Progress Report:

Sorry, no photos of the valve cover (dirty - didn't want to go inside for the camera). Believe me when I say I was *concerned* about the flaky sludge buildup in there.
Kerosene took care of it very nicely and cleaned most of that garbage off quite nicely.

Got it all back together, and sopped up the oil in the plug wells before I put the coils and boots back in.

Finally, just before I ran out of daylight again, I turned the key. Started sooner than usual and without the lawnmower-esque brief lumpiness.
Presumably this is because a very large vacuum leak is eliminated (removing oil cap changed engine's sound noticeably whereas it never did before).

Briefly shifted the car along the driveway and started again tonight: Same thing, started sooner and much smoother. Will drive tomorrow after I'm certain the RTV has set properly on the half-moons (darned VCG doesn't sit 100%... I suppose compression puts it where its supposed to be).

Will find out in a couple of weeks if I did it all properly as I Spark Plug Boots and the plugs themselves are now slated for replacement - having sat completely immersed in oil for who knows how long.
It will also be interesting to see if the knock/clatter sound around 2500-3000rpm (under moderate loads at speed) that surfaced on and off disappears without the vacuum leaks and drenched plugs.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

My sister's 330i on BMW 5w-30 (with less than half the miles, just over 65,000/120,000Km):
2003330ivcg03.jpg

What was the OCI used on your sister's car?

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

2003330ivcg03.jpg

What was the OCI used on your sister's car?

OLM AFAIK.

That was my M52 with ~130k on it. I bought the motor with supposedly 70k miles on it. I'd ran Rotella T6, some QSUD (which this motor did NOT like), and have been running FAR Maxlife NexGen 10W-40 for the past 30k at ~6k intervals.

Oh, and I'm getting into rebuilding vanos units now btw guys, if anybody needs one....WAY cheaper than the insane money Dr Vanos charges...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back