1992 Toyota Dolphin RV-barn find

My girlfriend just inherited a 1992 Toyota Dolphin RV/camper.

It has 88,000 miles on it and has been sitting in a dirt floor pole barn in West Tennessee and hasn't run for about 5 years.

I picked up a new battery, vacuumed out the mess in the engine compartment, checked the oil and trans (full and looked clean), filled up the radiator which was bone dry, and cleaned out the overflow which had a dark thick fluid in it. Finally, we put two gallons of fresh gas in and started cranking but no luck.

I did not drain the old gas.

It turns over just fine. The pulleys turn and everything looks and sounds normal. Dash lights work, etc, etc.

It seemed to sputter after a few attempts and then it just cranked and wouldn't even sputter.

Not sure what to try or look for next. Any guidance would be appreciated. She just wants to get this thing running and get it sold.

Thanks in advance!

You made a mistake not removing the old fuel and going through the fuel system. The fuel injectors are another worry.

I agree, Never do that on a gas vehicle that sat for more than a 2 years or so without at least taking a fuel sample. Ethanol blended gasoline can get rancid pretty quickly.

Every situation is different.....I've seen cars sit 8 years without the fuel going off & I've seen 8 years ruin everything. Recently brought a 1970 Monte Carlo back to life after 10 years of sitting & the fuel just needed to be drained, All rubber hoses, Fuel Pump, Filter & Sock, Along with a carb kit in the old QuadraJet. While the fuel was starting to smell funky, It didn't damage anything.

Had a customers 1979 Trans Am sit for only a little longer in dry storage just like the Monte Carlo.......The fuel which I'm pretty sure was a Ethanol blend went off & ruined everything in the tank, This is a LSx swapped vehicle with a Stainless Steel fuel tank.

Pictures of the Trans Am's Pump & Sending Unit....

kCz9iHr.jpg

Starting fluid. 5 year old gas on a fuel injected engine shouldn't be a problem.
This was my next idea too since there was a can in the barn for the mowers. I didn't have a fire extinguisher onsite and I wasn't going to mess with starting fluid w/out a having one around and possibly burning the pole barn down! I will let you know how it goes.

Back