1992 Toyota Crown Majesta (2jz)

Hello!

we just got a 1992 Toyota crown Majesta with a 2jz in it. It’s got 58,012 kilometers on it and it’s last oil change I know of was done in Japanin may of 2015.

i picked up a case of genuine Toyota 5w30 and a genuine filter (the ONLY part number that lines up at Toyota or Lexus so far) but haven’t done the change yet. Not opposed to doing mobile one or something but I was afraid that going synthetic wouldn’t be ideal. So far only the valve cover leaks.

the thing is, the previous owner obviously drove it right up to 2015-16 and traded it in, then it was sent here. For all I know, they used synthetic. Toyota motor oil in 5w30 is NOT synthetic to my knowledge so I may unknowingly “go back”

Also the cap doesn’t say viscosity on the motor, and there is no manual. Any advice?

Thanks

drew

Thank you so very much! Yes, we are in love with it. It’s a bit scary to own, though, as there are absolutely no parts for it in the United States. Below is a video walk around of the car and all its features from this morning. Yes, it has self-leveling air suspension with manual height adjustment and adjustable shock stiffness.

I’m pretty desperate to learn what the best way forward is for Oil. I won’t be using royal purple or Molly, but I am willing to go with mobile one if it’s better than Toyota. The car Will get extremely light use.

My limited experience on these kinds of things is that problems tend to arise when a drastic change is made with oil. A car this age might start to develop leaks if a full synthetic is used. This of course assumes that a conventional or a blend was used before.

The Toyota oil is made by Mobil. It should be a good oil to start with. That engine should last a long long time. It’s the other little things like the air suspension components for example that could fail just because of age.

I wonder if there is a online group of Toyota Crown owners or owners of JDM cars that might be helpful for you?

Maybe not the same exact car but many years ago in Japan I rode in a Super Saloon complete with the lace headrest coverings and other things. Super comfortable.

You hit the nail on the head… It’s a cheap engine and transmission a guy could get on a pallet easily, but a windshield that cost $2000 could ruin a day… One of the four air struts is no longer available, and the other three are about $2000

And yes! This car is definitely reminiscent of the early Lexus, in ways it’s positioned between the GS and LS, and in other ways it’s positioned above. They don’t “do” leather in Japan, they prefer wool. It did come with a set of lace

You hit the nail right on the head! It is a cheap engine and transmission anybody can get on a pallet relatively quickly, but it is a $2000 windshield, thousand dollar brake job, and only three of the four struts even still available at $1700 each, and all of that is before shipping from Japan.

We plan to drive it rarely, and treated extremely gently. Radiators… Exhaust parts… Wheel bearings… None of it available in the United States. And in Japan, these are getting rare as well because of their age.

And yes! This does remind me of an early Lexus. It does not have leather seats, because Japanese don’t “do“ leather, they prefer wool. In ways this car was positioned above the LS400, and in other ways it was positioned below it but above the GS. came with an optional 4 L V8, with intelligent four-wheel-drive, four wheel steer, and variable assessed power electric steering. Those features still aren’t available on the LS!

It does have a heads up display, and while I have the V6 rear wheel drive, I do have variable height air suspension with variable dampening in the shocks. Very cool car.

So I do plan to change the oil soon, do you guys think my safest bet is to use the Toyota 5W 30? I still can’t verify viscosity.
So, it says use type II or equivalent Toyota automatic transmission fluid. I am assuming that I am safe with type IV, right?

Also, I cannot find a community online of Jdm car owners at all. It would appear one is very lightly trafficked, and the other, which looked great, has been abandoned. I talked to Hagerty auto insurance about sending an email to all owners of classic Japanese imports in seeing if there is interest in a community

Derek @ Pacific Coast Auto might know?

Obviously Toyota was way ahead if its time having a HUD in a 1992 car. Most cars still don’t have it. My Mazda has one and while I may have thought of it as a gimmick before it is something I really appreciate now, especially with turn by turn navigation.

Welcome to the world of used Japanese Domestic Imports, this has been our world in New Zealand for over 30 years, we import as many used cars as new cars every year. No such thing as Lexus in Japan, that was a brand for the US market, We saw that engine in the Toyota Soarer, normally they had the V8, or the twin turbo 1JZ. We didn't get many Crowns, possibly because they may not have done well in a crash test. Japanese domestic vehicles are unique to Japan, a lot is experimental, things they try out before it goes mainstream. They do do leather....even the Pajero had leather as an option. I used to have a Diamante limo that was higher spec than your Majesta...leather with armrest seats. You may want to go via NZ for parts - we seldom have trouble getting parts, and before Covid we could get anything in a week.

Anyway, down here Castrol recommend Magnatec Stop Start 10W-30, or Magnatec 10W-40 for this engine. Both are SN and A3/B4.

Moto,

I had a friend down there, he passed away but we chatted somewhat frequently. He hated japanese cars though. LOVE your country, saddened by some recent troubles there. Anyway, In 2006, starting with the L-Finesse IS250 and then every redesign after, the american lexus models became lexus in japan. https://lexus.jp/ this was sad for me as I grew up LOVING the JDM toyotas matching our lexus. But yes, they now have lexus. Guess that means "it worked" over here.

Our SC300, or Soarer, was not twin turbo but could be made to be =)

So 10w30? not 5w30?

So far all is well minus the radio working only when it wants to. Was going 125 km so 77mph and it glides

Back