1992 Mitsu 3.0 SOHC AT 230k Miles.. Lifter Tick... Please Help GOING NUTS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea... Mine is the SOHC Mitsu 3.0 with 12 HLA. It is non interference so no bending valves if I loose that timing belt.
wink.gif

I will supertech full syn this time around. Would it make sense to ad vsot to the full syn? I am thinkig i need to clean that HLA out....

Travis

Try Rotella T syn, 5/40. My caravan 2.5 turbo loves it. quiets much of the cold start noises.

Rotella regular and syn, delo, couple of other hdeos are available at Wally Mart.
Good luck.
Wayne

Try the one quart of Marvel Mystery oil in with your motor oil remedy. I've heard people on this site say they do this to pump their lifters back up.

I drove one of these Mitsu 3.0s for a number of years (with a 5 sp manual, nice combo), from brand new to just shy of 160k, when I got tired of the rest of the car. The engine ran same as new at the end, no leaks and just about zero consumption over 3K. It had dino for the first 90K (driving 3,500 mi/mo), M1 for the rest.

These were known for blowing out cam seals, but I never had any problem with it. Overall, a good reliable engine with a very long life span.

ARX the thing, then go to a 10W-30. Since you resealed it, consider a full syn.

I agree with Golden Rod.

This sounds like a MMO job before anything. I'd certainly go with $6 worth of dino oil, a $3 filter and $3 of MMO before I try anything else.

Run it for 1500 miles and change the oil again.

would the SuperTech 10-30 Full Synth and 1 can MMO be a bad move? They Don't make the 5-30 Full Synth ANymore correct?

Just run the 10W-30 Dino and MMO like (thooks) said because you're going to be draining it at 1500 miles anyway. No sense in waisting all that syn in 1500 miles.

Don't change 12 hla to find one or two bad ones.
Even dealer service manuals for lifter noise
have
1)check to see if oil is dirty
2) try thinner oil
3) then find the one or two bad ones if those steps don't work.

Well, Went with the syntech 10w-30 Full Syn. I went ahead and sea foamed it before I changed to the Full Sun 10w-30 oil and it seems to have quieted the lifter down significantly.

Thanks,
Travis W.

If this engine uses the same lifter that comes in the Mitsubishi 2 liter 4 bangers (turbo and non-turbo)then they are just tempermental. Many DSM turbo enthusiests have continued problems with noise after swapping in a brand new set of lifters. The solution? Lifters from the new V6 Eclipse engine suprisingly!

For what it's worth.

I have an 88 Dodge Dynasty (the Die Nasty), and it's got 100K on it. Daughters college ride. Anyway, I had the oil comsumption problems. Guessed it was valve stem seals and had that done. No more oil comsumption. The lifter noise was there before I started experimenting with filters and oil. I use 5/30 Havoline, I use Purolator filter (don't use oversize, that's a huge start up problem with noise), and it's very quiet now. I have RX'd it and Seafoamed it as well. Have replaced most gaskets, and no leaks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back