1992 Johnson 4 HP

I just was gifted a 1992 Johnson 4HP outboard from my F-I-Law, its in pretty good shape.. need a little clean-up here and there.. thinking there is less than 40 hours on it, and thats being VERY generous estimate...
Had original spark plugs - will be replaced shortly..
Looking for an owner manual.. its a long shot, I know...
Any input appreciated.
Cheers
J.

I just was gifted a 1992 Johnson 4HP outboard from my F-I-Law, its in pretty good shape.. need a little clean-up here and there.. thinking there is less than 40 hours on it, and thats being VERY generous estimate...
Had original spark plugs - will be replaced shortly..
Looking for an owner manual.. its a long shot, I know...
Any input appreciated.
Cheers
J.
Check online for specs. Tcw-3 premium plus for motor oil at academy. Champion original spec plug: find compatible NGK plug runs better.

The carb will probably need cleaning and rebuilding. Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner?
no I dont.. good suggestion... i will go that route if it runs like crap once i give it a test run this summer..
..first plan is to give it acl free - 91 oct fuel as a get go..

Reactions: FZ1
Echo sentiments already given. Replace Impeller, change gear oil and rebuild the carb. Any TCW-3 oil should be fine I run pennzoil in my outboard that's $5 per qt at walmart. Should be a fun project. Champion or NGK plugs will both be fine as long as they're the correct ones. Run ethanol free fuel. Check out ebay for an owners or shop manual.

Indeed, gear oil will be done when it arrives at the lake.. all my watercraft gear and TCW-3 oil is up there.
Most local gas stations 91 is ethanol free.. Costco gas is eth free..

no I dont.. good suggestion... i will go that route if it runs like crap once i give it a test run this summer..
..first plan is to give it acl free - 91 oct fuel as a get go..
Right. Fresh gas mix and see if you can get it to fire before you do anything else. Clymer wrote a manual covering johnson/ evinrude small engines 2 to 70 horsepower. Buy used at half price books or ebay. Check the fuel filter if it won't run.

I wouldn't be surprised if the carb is just fine and it may only need a water pump impeller. I wouldn't touch the carb until I ran it.

Neat little engine to have on hand. Something like a little 4hp, 4-stroke Tohatsu would cost you like $1500 new today.

I wouldn't be surprised if the carb is just fine and it may only need a water pump impeller. I wouldn't touch the carb until I ran it.

Neat little engine to have on hand. Something like a little 4hp, 4-stroke Tohatsu would cost you like $1500 new today.
Indeed .. im hedging my bet that the carb is is alright... we shall wait and see..

Reactions: JTK
I would dribble some 2 stroke oil in the cylinder first and pull it through. Hose out the carb with carb cleaner. Fresh gas. Give her a pull and see how it runs. Probably needs nothing.

I would dribble some 2 stroke oil in the cylinder first and pull it through. Hose out the carb with carb cleaner. Fresh gas. Give her a pull and see how it runs. Probably needs nothing.
good idea... the motor spins freely already.. took a look when the plugs were out.. some carbon build up.. so yes a good cleaner will be in order..

Hello again, can anyone tell me what this is..?? and what does it do..??
Cheers

Attachments

• 20220319_115505.jpg
    20220319_115505.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 37
Back