1990 Toyota 4x4 transmission fluid type

I am trying to figure out if my 1990 Toyota 4x4 22r manual transmission (my baby) has any yellow metals in the transmission or transfer case?? While researching I keep seeing everyone pretty much recommend a GL-5 80/90 in the diffs. For the manual transmission and t case I keep seeing GL-4 or GL-5. Back when I had my 00 Volkswagen GTI I couldn't use a gl-5 due to it having yellow metals in the manual transmission. So I want to make sure this is not the case on my truck. While researching I have found one person mention yellow metals in the transmission of my truck. Not sure if this is true?? Everyone else is saying GL-4 or GL-5 80-90 I figured this is the place for the correct answer and hope you all can help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by R1jake
I am trying to figure out if my 1990 Toyota 4x4 22r manual transmission (my baby) has any yellow metals in the transmission or transfer case?? While researching I keep seeing everyone pretty much recommend a GL-5 80/90 in the diffs. For the manual transmission and t case I keep seeing GL-4 or GL-5. Back when I had my 00 Volkswagen GTI I couldn't use a gl-5 due to it having yellow metals in the manual transmission. So I want to make sure this is not the case on my truck. While researching I have found one person mention yellow metals in the transmission of my truck. Not sure if this is true?? Everyone else is saying GL-4 or GL-5 80-90 I figured this is the place for the correct answer and hope you all can help.
The place for the correct answer is your owner's manual. What does it say?

R1jake

This I do not have, which is very weird I have everything else including the original window sticker. Somewhere along the line the manual is missing.

R1jake

Originally Posted by CT8
i used MT 90 in my 92 and 06 4X4s Tacomas manual transmissions
This is what I was thinking, or possibly amsoils gl-4.

Typically manual transmission has yellow metal synchronisers (say 90ish % if not 100 IME , no evidence or proof though), not yellow metal gears or journal bearings etc . I'm very confident this yota manual transmission has yellow metal synchronisers . Tcase I'm not so sure as some may not have yellow metals . GL4 is about 'smooth shift' .Period. Though GL5 (often friction reducing) of similar viscosity grade typically offers higher MOFT and gears/bearings components protection . If 'smooth shift' is of no concern to one, by all means carry on with a GL5 IMO .

Last edited:

R1jake

Originally Posted by zeng
Typically manual transmission has yellow metal synchronisers (say 90ish % if not 100 IME , no evidence or proof though), not yellow metal gears or journal bearings etc . I'm very confident this yota manual transmission has yellow metal synchronisers . Tcase I'm not so sure as some may not have yellow metals . GL4 is about 'smooth shift' .Period. Though GL5 (often friction reducing) of similar viscosity grade typically offers higher MOFT and gears/bearings components protection . If 'smooth shift' is of no concern to one, by all means carry on with a GL5 IMO .
I am definitely going to go with GL-4 in the transmission and t case as well I suppose.