1990 Chevy K1500 with NV3500 5-speed. Latest and greatest syncromesh transmission fluid?

Okay, vehicle is a 1990 Chevrolet K1500 (4WD) with a 350 and an NV3500 5-speed transmission. What is the latest and greatest syncromesh fluid that is appropriate for this vehicle? This transmission has had a complete rebuild and is currently dry. A few postings on other sites seem to think the only fluid used should be what GM sells. I have no problem with that, but would prefer something without a GM part number. Some other sites seem to imply that cold weather shifting can be affected by some of the aftermarket fluids. (It can get relatively cold here a few months out of the year)
It takes less than 3 quarts, so other boutique oils would also work. If you've got a good recommendation, an included part number would be great. TIA.

Last time I did anything with a vehicle requiring sychromesh was a 95 K3500 with an NV4500 and I just used the regular Pennzoil syncrhomesh fluid. Worked without any issues. According to Autozone's website its part #3501. I either got it there or at my local Advance.

Back