1990 BMW 735i Oil Type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of oil is best for a 1990 735i? I live in Olando, Fl.
The car has 118,000 miles and I drive it daily to work (30+ miles /day).
I was looking at Mobil 1 20W50. Is that a good choice?

Last edited:
GC 0W-30.

EDIT: Yes, every BMW enthusiast forum, unofficialBMW.com, people that love the "old German cars especially BMW and Mercedes...." .. will tell you 20W-50. They are not wrong.. you can listen to them. But this is the thing...

... GC 0W-30 will protect your engine "equally," and moreso at startup.

CATERHAM recommends M1 0W-40. GC 0W-30 is ALMOST as good. Its just an older oil. You have an older car. It will be fine. M1 0W-40 will be fine too! You have selection room...

Now watch me get blown out of the water, but the truth is that 0W-30 is better for your engine at start-up. Fully warmed is different story.

Your car will last a long time on either. Simple fact. The specifics are up for debate.

Me, personally? Id get GC. Nice and quiet.

PS: Even if you had the 12-cylinder 5.0L V12 750iL.. GC 0W-30. Yes you can put the heavy oil in there.. but it only needs to be but so heavy.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 45ACP
GC 0W-30.

EDIT: Yes, every BMW enthusiast forum, unofficialBMW.com, people that love the "old German cars especially BMW and Mercedes...." .. will tell you 20W-50. They are not wrong..

They ARE wrong especially for L6 and V8 Bimmers..

Yes, especially in Florida GC 0W-30 would be a fine choice.
Another heavy 30wt option would be G-Oil 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
GC 0W-30.

EDIT: Yes, every BMW enthusiast forum, unofficialBMW.com, people that love the "old German cars especially BMW and Mercedes...." .. will tell you 20W-50. They are not wrong..

90% of those cars you see have 20W-50 in them.. They are not wrong. Just not "optimal" perhaps. As i said, it is up for debate, the specifics.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
GC 0W-30.

90% of those cars you see have 20W-50 in them.. They are not wrong. Just not "optimal" perhaps. As i said, it is up for debate, the specifics.

btw, the message boards are the prime advocators of "20W-50" with one or two members recommending 10W-40 due to the principles of motor oil and engine lubrication that you talk about, CATERHAM. This wasnt a dig at you. Just talking about the car, ok? The message boards are PETRIFIED of oil thinner than q0W-40 for the most part, but you will always see one or two posters that explain why they dont use uberthick 20W-50 and the other posters always say "Yes, you are bold." They have never been here. Guarantee it.
smile.gif

Ok ok, not "90%" but most of them that are not in a freezing climate, do, yes. Even the cold weather ones have a 10W-40 i think. Again. "Wrong" is not the correct word here. Perhaps just not "optimal."

Lets put it this way.. OTOH, OP could run a thick xW-20 in there and he would not be "wrong" either! Correct?
10.gif

So Walmart carries M1 10W40 high mileage, but no 0W40 or 5W40. They also have M1 0W30 and 5W30. I'm assuming based on feedback that M1 15W50 is not a good choice. Not finding GC 0W30. Is that Castrol?
Any of the listed M1s good?

Originally Posted By: dawedler
So Walmart carries M1 10W40 high mileage, but no 0W40 or 5W40. They also have M1 0W30 and 5W30. I'm assuming based on feedback that M1 15W50 is not a good choice.

Seeing as you are in FL, if you really love M1, you could run their HM 10w-30, too.

Quote:

Not finding GC 0W30. Is that Castrol?

Yup. Castrol Edge with SPT (Syntec) 0w-30. Only sold at AutoZone and PepBoys. They also sell Castrol 5w-40 that would be OK for your application.

Don't overlook the HDEO 5w40s. If you can't find something that carries the A3/B3 certs then Rotella synthetic would also be a decent choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back