1989 Suzuki Sidekick: Won't start, no juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, friends. Quick question for the community here. My friends recently bought a 1989 Suzuki Sidekick with the 1.6 liter engine. Not sure if 8v or 16v. Anyways, 4wd, 5 speed, 2 door soft top. It's a fun little car. The other day I parked it where I work in the garage to keep from having to put the top back on, lazy me. I went to start it yesterday morning, and I got nothing. It didn't attempt to turn over at all. All I get is a chirping noise, sounds like it is coming from under the steering wheel in the dash. I tried to jump it just now and the headlight won't come on, much less start. What should I look for next? I know nothing about suzuki cars, and I need to get it going for them. The reason I have it is because I was going to give it a tune up for them and see why the 4wd is not working. Any advice would be great, thank you!

Your one sentence " I tried to jump it just now and the headlight won't come on, much less start." tells me a lot about what is going on.

Usually you can NOT jump start a totally discharged or completely (totally) dead battery.

If the battery is dead because someone left a light on such as an interior light or a head light then you need to charge the dead battery before you will be able to jump start it. If you do not have a battery charger you can still charge the battery by connecting the jumper cables from a good vehicle to the bad battery and running the good vehicle for fifteen minutes. Turn off all accessories (radio, lights, interior lights (doors closed) ) on the good vehicle while charging the bad vehicle. Then stop the engine on the good vehicle and with the good vehicle still connected with the jumper cables try to start the bad vehicle.

Always turn off the engine on the good vehicle while jump starting a bad vehicle to avoid any chance of damaging the alternator on the good vehicle.

If after charging, the bad vehicle will still not jump start then the bad vehicle has a totally dead battery and it is time to purchase a new battery. You can do one more test to confirm that the bad vehicles battery is totally dead.

If after charging the bad vehicles battery and disconnecting the jumper cables the head lights will still not come on then the bad vehicle has a totally dead battery as in time to buy a new battery.

If after charging the bad vehicle and using the good vehicles battery to jump start the bad vehicle, and it starts then the battery was just discharged, and may still be good. You will have to see how the bad vehicles battery holds up when you try to start it without jumpering to see if the bad vehicles battery is good enough to still use.

Last edited:
Also be sure the AC is off on the good vehicle while charging the bad vehicles battery. The electronic clutch on the AC requires a lot of current and could interfere with charging by placing too much electric load on the good vehicles charging system.

BTW, be aware that when you jump start any battery there is always a very small chance that the bad battery will explode. The chance is very small, but you should have a plan in advance as to what you would do if it explodes and splashes all of its acit up into the air and comes down on everything including your face. You should know in advance where the nearest source of running water is (preferably water that can be squirted into your face like a garden hose, or a shower head, not just a sink that would be hard to get your eyes under). At the very least have a gallon of water to pour into your eyes. Safety glasses would also be a good idea.

I once saw a battery explode while someone across the street was jump starting a truck. He ran into his house and jumped under the shower.

The chance of a battery exploding is very small but it still does happen sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back