1989 Snapper I-522 5hp Tecumseh engine troubles

After reset on that bowl screw last nite (in then out 1.5 turns), engine stone cold 40 degrees this morning started 1 pull ran decent at 1/2 throttle for 20min. then put it to work on a snowbank and lost power in 5min.

Looks like I can sneak the head off without removing the carb and muffler so a quick job and only $8 for a OEM gasket...guess I'm going there next..valve and grinding I'm not equipped to do.

Sorry if I missed it, but if the carb isn't the culprit, make sure the gas cap vents are free and clear. If air can't be drawn in through the cap, fuel won't flow into the carburetor bowl.

Fixed! ...Unbelievable, My son had used it and for some reason he shut the fuel off but not all the way (about 1/16 turn short of off) so the engine started with a gravity filled carb and ran slow with just a trickle of fuel but once it heated and a load put on it couldn't sustain on the restricted fuel supply... geezuz....the shutoff is a rotary valve like a lawn faucet so when I checked it, it rolled free but actually was just next to shut, I re adjusted the lean/rich and it's good now, runs perfect 32yrs. and counting. I'm embarrassed... thanks for your replies.

Heh heh My Ariens 6-7 hp Tecumsehs did the same thing. I solved the problem with a 99$ Predator engine from Harbor Freight. Starts easily and runs strong. :cool:

Back