1989 Mercedes 560SL Oil Recommendations

My Dad and I were talking about his 1989 Mercedes 560SL with the V8 in it. It sits down here in Scottsdale AZ for about 6 months out of the year. During his time here he puts about 2000 miles on the car. His mechanic recommended he use full synthetic. Currently he changes it about once a year. Short trips... Can someone recommend some oils. Currently 5w-30 dino is in the car. The car has 60,000 miles on it. Is there really a need for synthetic? My inclination is to say change it once a year with any quality oil and worry about other things.... Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

Last edited:
Synthetic is really a waste with his use of this car. Any HDEO 15W-40 changed yearly would be better. Another choice would be conventional 10W-40 or same but HM oil type. I guess 10W-30 would be ok too for lots of shorter trips. I usually go with 10W-40 Maxlife or HDEO 15W-40 for those cars here in South Carolina, year-round, unless customer just wants a full synthetic. I'm just not a fan of thin, sae 30 oils in these big aluminum V8's. Not enough ZDDP or protective viscosity if they are driven aggressively, IMO.