1989 Ford Ranger MTX M5R1 MTF suggestions

This is an old dex spec'd MTX that has been rebuilt. It is going in a 1988 Ranger XLT 4WD (swapping ATX to MTX).

Redline calls out D4 for this transmission but I'd rather go with a dedicated MTF. I assume MTL would be OK or MT-LV.

The usage will be just hauling motorcycles and winter usage. Doesn't see many miles in the heat.

Any suggestions?

If this is the Mazda 5 speed manual, it requires Mercon. I had a ‘91 Ranger with the 5 speed manual and Mercon was the specified fluid.

thanks for the suggestions but ATF is a no go. The MTFs available are far superior to an ATF used in an MTX. I will limit choices only to an MTF.
It’s your vehicle. I’m just telling you what was specified from the manufacturer.

Low Viscosity Hygard from John Deere. Been in mine for thousands of miles and shifts way better than it ever did with ATF. It’s around $15 a gallon at the dealer.

The gear oil pump that Oreillys sells to fit a gallon jug fits the bottle perfectly and makes it an ease to fill. I carry the bottle and pump in a milk crate with other spare fluids.

Redline MTL is a great fluid that I would run with confidence. Other than that or Amsoil's synchromesh you could run any basic conventional synchromesh fluid and have good results.

"I switched over to the MTL last Saturday and now have about 400 miles on the fluid change. The transmission shifts smoother now than it has since I've had the truck, even in sub 20 degree weather it shifts great. If I were to do it over again I would have used straight MTL since cold weather shift quality isn't an issue. Great fluid, the Syncromax was a nice improvement over ATF and the MTL is a nice improvement over the Syncromax."

This is a quote from this post in the ranger-forums https://www.ranger-forums.com/oil-lubrication-132/royal-purple-synchromax-1-a-121358/page2/.
Lots of people saying dedicated mtf is doing them justice in their rangers and some to contrast but it is your choice.

Back