1989 Chevy Camaro RS 305 TBI - Oil Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Amazon, my Camaro takes the shorty filter - EX: AC Delco PF454, Puro L/PL/PSL15313, Fram PH/TG/XG30, KN-2002, M1-111, RP-10-454... etc.

But from what I've researched, my Camaro has plenty of room to fit the larger/longer versions of these filters - EX: AC Delco PF1218, Puro L/PL/PSL34631, Fram PH/XG5, KN-3002, M1-302, RP-30-1218...

(And this isn't even considering the wide array of Wix filters that fit on Chevy small-blocks)...

---

So my questions are:

1. Can I use the longer filters; doesn't the 305 have enough clearance for the longer ones?

2. If yes, what are your opinions on which filter you would prefer on my 305 TBI?

3. If no - (that is to say, if I'm better off using the shorties) - again, what are you're opinions on filter preference?

---

All the above being said...

As you see I didn't mention Wix filters in my examples: that is not because I dislike Wix. In fact, I really, really like Wix. But, with so many 13/16" threaded Wix filters (that *could* fit my Camaro), I wasn't about to list them all. Ergo, feel free to suggest Wix, or not, if you prefer other brands.

---

P.S.

One last question: The PF1218 and PF2232 are nearly one in the same, besides that the PF2232 has a bypass...

Does my Camaro's engine have the internal bypass, so that (assuming I may use the longer filters), I can use the PF1218 [and/or other filters w/o a bypass]?

~ Triton

What kind of oil and OCI do you plan on doing? For extended drains, use the XG30 or M1-111 or the RP 10-454 or the CQ Blue 85069 (which is made by Fram now, but they kept the Wix numbering system, the CQ Blue is a reboxed M1). There's also the Castrol CAS30, which is another M1 clone, but with a cool green paint job

Nothing wrong with the Wix 51069, which should also be good for 10k, but if you go much longer than that, there's no 51069XP.

For shorter OCI's, use the Carquest Red R85069 (similar to the old non-ecore AC Delcos), or one of the Wix-made economy filters (Supertech, Napa Silver/Proselect, Microgard, Pro-tec, etc).

The shorty is still fat, so plenty of filter media
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
Your Camaro's engine has the internal bypass, use the bigger 1218 or equivalent.

Thanks, and I'm actually glad to know it will fit the longer filter for sure.

It has been a while since I've been underneath her, so I couldn't remember how much room there was and how high up the oil filter mount was.

So, I actually found a picture from another forums site of a guy who took a picture of a 1218 on his '92 Camaro with the 305 TPI.

(I hope it's not against the rules to link to other forums sites but..)

http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermark...tml#post3406534

And here is the particular image I was needing to see:

Click to reveal..

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
What kind of oil and OCI do you plan on doing? For extended drains, use the XG30 or M1-111 or the RP 10-454 or the CQ Blue 85069 (which is made by Fram now, but they kept the Wix numbering system, the CQ Blue is a reboxed M1). There's also the Castrol CAS30, which is another M1 clone, but with a cool green paint job

Nothing wrong with the Wix 51069, which should also be good for 10k, but if you go much longer than that, there's no 51069XP.

For shorter OCI's, use the Carquest Red R85069 (similar to the old non-ecore AC Delcos), or one of the Wix-made economy filters (Supertech, Napa Silver/Proselect, Microgard, Pro-tec, etc).

The shorty is still fat, so plenty of filter media
smile.gif

Well, one of the reasons I was asking making the thread to begin with was to know if I could fit the longer filters anyways. And as you can see above, I found a picture that shows that there is plenty of ground clearance as the filter is still much higher up than the pan.

Though I did say it'd been a while since I'd been underneath her such that I couldn't remember how high up it was, I did have a feeling it was quite high up and I guess to me it makes more since to use the longer filter...

And upon research, it seems that the Chevy 305/350 engines have historically used the either the PF25 or PF35 (which, were replaced by the PF454 and PF1218), depending on clearance. It seems obvious now, after seeing the PF1218 mounted on that '92 Camaro's 305 that I would have room for it on my '89.

---

I'm still debating what brand I want. You'd asked me about OCI and such, but you see, we don't drive the Camaro much; it's our summer "Car Show/Car Cruise" car, as my father and I are in a local classic car club. I do try to get it out and drive it more than just to shows and cruises when I have the chance, but I'll just say this: it doesn't rack up miles very quickly at all. So, in my eyes, choosing between what filter to use is more about filtration/engine longevity... and I guess even a tad of the sake of nuance just for getting a really nice filter because we probably just change the oil in it once a year (or sometimes once every other) so price of the filter isn't an issue.

~ Triton

I have an 86 Trans Am that also calls for the PF454 shortie. I had a truck that called for the long filter PF1218, I bought a case of Wix 51060 (PF1218 "long" filter) and used them on both vehicles.
The long filter fit my 86 just fine with plenty of room.
I've cut apart a few of the Wix 51060 that I have removed and they all looked fantastic!

If money is no object the Amsoil EA024 is the long filter equivalent. One of the best constructed filters I have seen. Wire backed synthetic media, silicone adbv, nice heavy can.

As long as it's not hanging down below the oil pan, then a longer filter should be fine.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
As long as it's not hanging down below the oil pan, then a longer filter should be fine.

Speaking of which...

For the sake of it, I actually made an account on that other forums site (ThirdGen), because after not only finding that picture [in an above post] there, I also found something else... In a different thread someone had commented they had used the PF932 (the really long 2qt filter) on their 305 without clearance issues.

So, I posted this there (lol, bumping an old thread in doing so), in order to see if any of the folks at ThirdGen could further clarify and reassure that a PF932 can fit without clearance issues:

http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermark...tml#post6021257

I know it's seemingly an impractical thing in the first place to ask this, but, it's not that I'd would definitely use the PF932 if I get clarification that it does fit (though I might), but it is also for the sake of knowing. Sure, it's a silly nuance of a sake in the first place but... Heck, this is BITOG, lol.

I'll probably wind up using the Wix equivalent to the PF1218 - but, if I actually wind up finding out the PF932 can fit fine, and I do choose to install it... I'd be able to make a corny joke to fellow Camaro owners. *Cough* "Hey... My filter's longer than your's."
lol.gif

~ Triton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back