1988 Honda Civic 1.5L 77,000 miles, Good Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a Good 100% synthetic oil for my 1988 civic 1.6L.
The car is used primarily in cold weather months.

Shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pick one..PP, QSUD, M1, etc. If you can find a 0wX, that might be nice with the cold weather operation.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Mobil 1 0W-30, perhaps?

Way too thin for a 27 year year old motor.
5 weight synthetic is already more fluid than conventional oil of the same weight.

Originally Posted By: Robb.
Mobil 1 0W-30, perhaps?

5 weight synthetic is already more fluid than conventional oil of the same weight.

Nonsense... I'm running synthetic 5W-30 in my 20 year old Acura right now.
smile.gif
At operating temperature it should be just the same as a conventional 30-grade. You should try to get the lowest W (winter) rating possible if you're going to just be using it in the winter, as the warm-up period is when most of the wear occurs and more flow is better in that situation.

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
Even a 0W cold is still way thicker than it will be at operating temp...

Im worried about consumption and leakage !

+1

If you're worried about that (and I don't blame you, those seals are probably pretty hard after 27 years), try a high mileage synthetic such as Mobil 1 HM, Royal Purple HMX, or Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic. Best of both worlds in your situation, IMO.

I doubt it's more likely to leak. Just cause its 0w doesn't mean it's ridiculously thin, it's only a 0w when the engine is cold

Ive been using Amosil OE 5w30 for the past 2 seasons and on initial cold startup, Ive noticed bottom end knocking, then goes away when warm.

Ive been using Amosil OE 5w30 for the past 2 seasons and on initial cold startup, Ive noticed bottom end knocking, then goes away when warm.

I get a knocking with my Acura until it warms up, too. I'm assuming it's just piston slap as it's done it since I've had it (over 7 years) and it's still going.

Mobil 1 0W-30, perhaps?

No. It's not. You asked for suggestions and shot down a perfectly good one.

If you have some serious knocking until warm, it's not going to matter what oil you use...

Piston slap is normal on the older Hondas, when starting in sub freezing temps.
Im gonna try 0w30 full synthetic then.

thanks

If it is piston slap, then the 0W may help a bit, my Neon does it like most Neons when cold and it seems to be quieter when I use a 0W

If it is piston slap, then the 0W may help a bit, my Neon does it like most Neons when cold and it seems to be quieter when I use a 0W

cool.
11.gif

Napa Synthetic 5w30. On sale for $3.79/qt this month. It's rebranded Synpower.

Another good deal is PP 5w30. $22.66 at Walmart for 5qt, and there's a $10 rebate.

PP is cheaper after rebate, but it's the big 5-qt jug and you have to wait 3-4 weeks to get the rebate, and some people don't like WM.

The advantage to Napa syn is the single quart bottles, so when you just have a little bit left, it's just one quart left or half a quart in the same small bottle, rather than having a big jug left behind for just a quart or less. Plus, the single quart bottles are easier to pour from.

Either one will serve you well.

The M1 AFE 0w30 is also a good choice.

Interesting.
My 04 ram had a bottom end knock when cold usin M1 afe 0w-20,on tigs advice. It wasn't noticeable when warm though.
I used defy 5w-20 on the next oil change and no knock.
Not that I thought the oil itself was a problem.
In fact winter starts were a breeze. -35 and it wasn't plugged in and started just fine.
As far as consumption goes unless the engine is badly worn there shouldn't be much difference between a 0w-30 and a 10w-30.
And if you are concerned about dried up seals use an oil with an ester in it like redline or use an additive with an eater in it like liqui-moly motor oil saver.
That motor oil saver will improve the pliability of and rubber or cork gasket,as long as it's not made of rope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back