1988 Honda Accord & GC 0w-30 7100 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
1988 Honda Accord LX w/ 227Kmi. This car is new to me and I do not know much of the service history. I bought it from a government impound lot, DUI confiscation (so it was running at time of impound). Sat for about 35 days before I took ownership. Air filter was in trunk at time of purchase, but carb screen was VERY clean. Air filter may have only been removed by someone later to try and start it as there were also 2 batteries and jumper cables in trunk. Cams looked clean, very low varnish. When I got home I changed the oil and filter (GC 0w-30 "M02" & Honda dealer filter circa 1999).

During this sample I replaced the cam seal, front crank seal, VC gasket, timing belt, oil filter housing gasket, air filter, plugs, wires, and fuel pump. No additives, fuel treatments, etc. Compression test 180 psi

code:

Iron 19

Chromium 0

Lead 63

Copper 4

Tin 0

Aluminum 2

Nickel 0

Silver 0

Silicon 27

Boron 6

Sodium 3

Potassium 1

Magnesium 178

Calcium 2464

Phosphours 972

Zinc 1090

Moly 3

Fuel A

Water
Glycol NEG

Visc 12.2

Soot
Oxidation 16.00

Nitration 9.50

For the most part I am impressed except for the Lead and Silicon. But that may be caused by the gasket changes, etc? I do not really know why copper would be so low compared to lead.

-brian

I dumped some Auto-RX in the oil after this sample, but I'm not sure it was necessary! Oxidiation and Nitration are very low already. Almost all of this was highway, 3000 RPM with no traffic.

-brian

I wonder if the silicon and lead are from someone running it without the air filter? If that's the case, they should both improve.

The lead is probably bearing residue that was left in the oil pan (sludge) and is being cleaned out. Silicone is clearly from the seals and gaskets; given the low Fe/Cr/Al levels.

Combustion efficiency is excellent for a high mileage, carburator equipped engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back