1988 Cadillac brougham - 307 c.u. olds - Rotella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: momo
Originally Posted By: Kuato
How about 5w40 Rotella?

Synthetic can cause leaks

Only if the seals are bad in the first place and need to be replaced. To be fair I have switched a couple of older vehicles (up to 153k km, 95k miles) to synthetic and they DID seep a little oil at first...

but that seepage dried up in less than 5000km/3000 miles. It was not even enough to drip.

I'll go out on a limb and recommend Penn Grade 1 5W-30. Its worth looking into. More than enough zinc and phosphorus and the ideal grade for your situation. There is also a 0W-30 available if its really, really cold. If you look at my thread regarding the oil, you'll find links to the current PDS documents.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I'll go out on a limb and recommend Penn Grade 1 5W-30. Its worth looking into. More than enough zinc and phosphorus and the ideal grade for your situation. There is also a 0W-30 available if its really, really cold. If you look at my thread regarding the oil, you'll find links to the current PDS documents.

I'll look to that. Thanks

Originally Posted By: momo
BTW, the engine is original and has 73k miles on it.

I also noticed that the oil turned black in the first 1000 miles and so, I think it needs short OCI since the car used very rarely (2-3k miles a year)?

Would that be a good route to take?

The rate at which an oil turns black varies on a huge number of factors. You will not know if the oil is used up because it turned black, only oil analysis can tell you that. For example, it may only take oil 5 minutes to turn black inside a diesel engine, yet the engine lasts as long as it is supposed to when the oil is changed at manufacturer specified intervals.

Anyway, if you are using it all year, I think Castrol Euro 0w30 would be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back