1987 Jaguar XJ6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has one of these.. the body is fully restored and it looks spectacular, but it doesn't run as good as it looks.

Well, it runs fine, all the features work and everything and its a dependable daily driver, but it doesn't perform as well as it should. I am assuming that the air filter, catalytic converters, and the rest of the exhaust probably need replacing, and those are probably main factors to blame in how it's running now.

I would like to know if you guys could recommend an additive to run though. Its got a 4.2L I6 w/ over 100k miles (not too many over).

I'd like maybe something to run through the fuel system, and I was betting that you guys would recommend Auto-RX for the oil.

I wish there were some good active Jaguar forums online so I could research the car a bit more to see what some good maintanence items are, but I couldn't find any good forums, so this was the next best place (in my mind
tongue.gif
)

By the way.. should we be expecting much performance out of this old 4.2L?

quote:

Originally posted by z00mz00m:

I wish there were some good active Jaguar forums online so I could research the car a bit more to see what some good maintanence items are, but I couldn't find any good forums, so this was the next best place (in my mind
tongue.gif
)

Here ya go.

i never have really liked the automotiveforums.com.. too big.. a nice jaguar specific standalone forum would be nice, with a lotta active members

i'll try that place though

hopefully u guys could still assist me w/ oil recommendations and the additive part of my Q
(ur the best
smile.gif
)

quote:

Originally posted by DockHoliday:
Does that have the older DOHC 12 valve motor, or the newer "AJ6" with 24 valves?

i am not really sure, but i'd be willin to bet its the older one because it doesn't have that much getup and go

Gawd the XJ6 was a beautiful car. I had one. It was a mechanical disaster. I liked the DOHC 6, It was no 1/4 miler but it would go plenty fast after a while. I was plagued with rusted out gas tanks which clogged the injectors. Like most cars, it had its good and bad features. You see a lot of them with SBC conversions, which I never understood. The motor on mine ran strong with over 200k on it. It was the rest of the car which was falling apart.

Best additive for a 4.2 Jag is a small block chevvy.

Makes them sound goot, unloads nearly 100lbs off the front end, and reduces maintenance expenditure hugely.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
Here's your answer!
grin.gif

yeah we've heard and read about that stuff before.. it seems that his wouldn't work though, the kits on that site are for 72-86 xj6.. if his was an xjs it would work.. what is xjs btw?

http://forums.jag-lovers.org/index....PB8c7BZ6YxkLPDwafnxAL0AoAmZ7HSs0M/paWyAT4+wk=

http://www.jag-lovers.org/

Jag Lovers in the best place for Jag owners.

4.2L = "XK" straight six, not the XJ40 AJ6. 100,000 miles = 160,000km : the XK in the Series 3 XJ6 is apparently not as durable as earlier models, and I've heard needs rebuilding every 200,000km. Otherwise, it's a pretty strong motor. Oil leaks and other stupid minor problems spoil it.

Shannow - Sacrilege
rolleyes.gif
You don't put a rubbish GM engine in a Jaguar.

quote:

Originally posted by Losiho:
http://forums.jag-lovers.org/index....PB8c7BZ6YxkLPDwafnxAL0AoAmZ7HSs0M/paWyAT4+wk=

http://www.jag-lovers.org/

Jag Lovers in the best place for Jag owners.

4.2L = "XK" straight six, not the XJ40 AJ6. 100,000 miles = 160,000km : the XK in the Series 3 XJ6 is apparently not as durable as earlier models, and I've heard needs rebuilding every 200,000km. Otherwise, it's a pretty strong motor. Oil leaks and other stupid minor problems spoil it.

Shannow - Sacrilege
rolleyes.gif
You don't put a rubbish GM engine in a Jaguar.

ah yes, i've found jag lovers before and surfed it, but i found it very un-userfriendly.. i do not like the layout of that site at all

by the way, i talked to my friend last night and he said that his is the 24 valve actually.. and its not so skimpy w/ power, he said he's actually enjoying it lately, not as bad as it seemed

This particular Brit might have needed an Italian tune-up. Sounds like that could be why your friend is enjoying it more lately.
smile.gif

If you can find it locally, dumping a bottle of Gumout Regain in the tank likely wouldn't hurt. And yes, of course, Auto-RX is the best thing since sliced bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back