1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE
I used the exact same thing in my 85 Vic with the 302. Used only Motorcraft oil and filters. Changed out every 5K miles. No major issues with it for over 250K miles.

I avoided the Motorcraft oil up here. It's not the same as what you guys get in the States, but I don't think it ever had anything except an FL-1A. Dealer oil here is a bit too much money.
wink.gif

DS9 reference, Garak?

I got my FL-1A yesterday, glad to see this specific one is still made in USA. Also came with that pkg was the PCV Valve/Grommet/Screen, Valve Cover Gaskets, Plenum Gasket and 10w30 MAXLife...... now to find a warm spot to do all of this work.. that's the hard part! I swear, I'll never live in a place without a garage again.. I've wasted so many thousands of dollars at the mechanic due to not having a place to do my own work!

Yes, DS9 reference.
wink.gif

Having no garage would be very difficult on me. I do use a few more Wix 51515 examples over the past few years, given that I get them at a much better price than the OEM Motorcraft. When I had my midsize 1983 LTD, the FL-1A was about the only filter I could find for that application that actually had the ADBV. That's why I rarely grouse too much about silicone over nitrile. Silicone might have some advantages over nitrile, but nitrile has a lot of advantages over "no ADBV at all."

I have replaced Type-F in power steering systems with all kinds of other specifications. It doesn't make a difference because ATF is mostly different because of wet clutch friction properties. Since there are no wet clutches in a power steering system, there is no fear of using a high quality fluid that meets other standards.

Dexron VI is an excellent choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back