1986 Toyota FJ60 Recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have a 1986 Toyota Landcruiser with 130k that will be spending its first winter in Park City, UT. It had previously been living in Tucson and Albuquerque and happily running Rotella T 15w-40 year round. My normal drive is a 15-20min to the resort with most mornings in the teens down to around -15f and I don't expect to see any temps above 50 until its next change in late april. For those not familiar; its a 2f engine. Which is a carbed, flat tappet, low spring pressure inline 6 engine, loosely based on the old chevy stovebolt 6. It looks like I should go with a 5w-30, and I'm looking for some recommendations.
8009620593_22e7d81e74.jpg

Last edited:
In general, 15w-xx oil in cold climates is not recommended, especially below freezing. There are better oils to use for that situation. Nothing wrong with going by Toyota's recommendations. 5w-30 will serve just fine in its new colder home.
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I'd use a 5W30 since your commute is short. Todays 5W30's are really good! And between the two oils, DEFY & MAXLIFE), either will be fine though, DEFY would have more ZINC and be SL rated.

That's a great engine in a great old Toyota truck. I would use a 5W30 as well, if you plan to be starting it in really cold weather (as Park City gets once in a while) a 0W30 or a 5W30 synthetic would help it crank a bit easier.

If you've got a rust-free example of the FJ-60, then you've got an appreciating asset there...they're going up in value now...

I think I would get some Castrol 0w30 or some Mobil1 0w20 oil. They will flow well in those cold temps and are both proven oils.

M1 hm 5w30 in winter and 10w40 in summer. Same grades with defy would be good as well.

Many say you don't need higher levels of zddp with low pressure flat tappet cams but there is no reason to run a sm/sn oil either when top notch oils like defy and M1 hm are readily available and reasonably priced.

Delo/Delvac/Rotella have a 5w40 full synth that work great.

Block/pan heaters should be looked into. Synth PSF/ATF/gearoils/MTFL...should be considered too.

a 0W40 or even 5W40 would work well in that engine... If it was mine, I would stay with Rotella and use 5W40. By the way, I love the FJ40's and 60's.

Originally Posted By: huntsonora
Rotella T6

+1 here...

Since your using a HDEO currently, this shouldn't be much of a shock for the old I6.

+1 on the Land Cruiser too.

Karhu,

Shell Rotella T multi-grade oils (SAE 15W-40, 0W-40 5W-40, 10W-40, 10W-30) work well with flat tappet cam engines since they contain approximately 1,200 ppm of phosphorus. This includes Shell Rotella T conventional, Shell Rotella T5 synthetic blend and Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic engine oils. We recommend that you check with the manufacturer of the engine on the proper oil viscosity. You can visit www.Rotella.com for more information and to find a retailer in your area!

-The Shell Rotella Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back