1986 K10 Truck - Worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad is thinking of selling his K10 short bed. No ac, 305, auto trans, probably 125k miles and in very good shape (repainted about five years ago). He's thinking $3k without replacing the tires or $4k with new tires (the current tires were installed in 1995....good tread but dry-rotted badly). I see truck prices all across the board - from $2800 to $14,000. What do y'all think?

Edit - Roanoke/Vinton Va area.

Last edited:
No pictures. No rust. It looked great the last time I saw it. It only gets used a couple of times a month if that and mainly to haul a few bales of hay or maybe some yard debris to the landfill.

The no a/c is what's going to hurt the selling price. Some people are hardcore when it comes to a working a/c.

It is about condition condition condition. I would list it at 5.5K and agree to sell to the first person that comes closest to this price that pays cash in hand if it has new tires.

That's probably close to what he should do. The truck is in great condition and passes the Virginia state inspection every year. He doesn't scrimp on maintenance and has done what needs to be done.

I'd like to have the truck myself but he won't take any money from me and I'd rather see him sell it and pocket a few bucks. It's not that he needs the money at all but wants to get what he can out of it. Someone will end up with a nice old truck.

Don't put new tires on it. You will lose money that you won't recover when you sell it. If you spend $1000 on new tires, you MIGHT get an extra $500 out of the sale. Let the new buyer put the tires that they want on it.

Also, the lack of AC is a deal killer for a huge majority of buyers that want a nice used truck. Honestly, I think the lack of AC knocks $1000-$2000 off of the price. Even in great condition, that's a $1300-$2000 truck around here, depending on condition.

$1,000 on a set of tires for a truck you're gonna sell? I just went to Discount Tire's website and a set of Hankooks without the road hazard warranty (not needed if you're not gonna use it) is $392 OTD

I'm not sure what kind of tires he was going to install if at all. It has 30" right now I think and he would probably want to stay with them.. He told me he would rather replace the tires now than sell it to someone with known bad tires.

If you replace the tires it'll definitely help the value when it's time to sell (not that you can expect to get your new tire money back,BUT,if it has worn out tires,expect the selling price to get negotiated way down). Maintenance isn't something to ever recoup from a selling vehicle. If I were to sell my car,I can't tack on an extra couple grand because I replaced the timing belt,tires,oil,tranny fluid,etc. That kind've stuff is expected and should be done regardless if I'm selling or not.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
I'm not sure what kind of tires he was going to install if at all. It has 30" right now I think and he would probably want to stay with them.. He told me he would rather replace the tires now than sell it to someone with known bad tires.

30x9.50R15C for $82 each.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Fleetmon

30x9.50R15C for $82 each.

But ... but .... they are recaps! They'll throw the tread and kill everyone and all immediate family members!!!!!

He decided he wanted me to have it so I picked up my "new" truck this weekend.....300 miles later it was parked in my garage. What a nice truck! Drives/shifts smooth as silk and looks almost new.

In return for the truck, I planned an October trip for he and I to visit his old fishing haunts in the mountains of Pa. I'll pick him up in Vinton Va, head to Pa, spend a couple of days there and then take him back home. Naturally, I'll use "his" truck and we shouldn't miss not having AC around the end of October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back