1985 chev blazer 2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
heya !!!

been surfing this sight for quite a few years and finally got the courage to post haha

i got a 1985 chev blazer 2.8 carby (as per the title)
the old girl has 478,931 MILES , YES MILES
burns about a liter every 250 to 500 miles depending on the driving, slight lifter tick

what oil ?

A cheap 30 weight would serve you well. Valvoline Maxlife comes to mind. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on oil for a vehicle that is literally blowing it away.

Do you know why it is consuming oil and could it be fixed cheaply?

welcome2.gif
to BITOG. Wow that's a lot of miles!!

The ticking could be because it's just worn and no oil will fix it but you could try Valvoline Maxlife or Castrol Magnatec

Last edited:
Really whatever you can find cheap. Just change the filter every 6 months. There really is no need to do a full oil change. Save for a reman.

Originally Posted by anderson
heya !!!

been surfing this sight for quite a few years and finally got the courage to post haha

i got a 1985 chev blazer 2.8 carby (as per the title)
the old girl has 478,931 MILES , YES MILES
burns about a liter every 250 to 500 miles depending on the driving, slight lifter tick

what oil ?

Whatever is on sale.

At that consumption rate, take the used oil from other cars.

I had a '66 Nova like that. Check the gas and fill the oil every 500 miles.

yeah its defiantly a burner haha
it needs a total rebuild basically but for the mileage who can ask anything more from it
i usually change my filter and drain the pan every 3k which is about a year for me

i should also add that i have been using partsmaster 10w30 diesel oil , cheapest stuff we got at the parts store i work at

Check the PCV (if equipped, can't remember if it has a breather instead) as well make sure that isn't at least part of the cause. Using a good oil might clean the rings a bit and help as well. Maybe something Dexos 2 it looks like those oils clean better than regular SN. I do think most of the reason it uses oil is because it's just worn though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Check the PCV as well make sure that isn't at least part of the cause. Using a good oil might clean the rings a bit and help as well. Maybe something Dexos 2 it looks like those oils clean better than regular SN.

everything besides the engine is in tip top shape and has been replaced with decent quality parts (pcv , plugs , rotor , wires bla bla )
i mainly was curious to see you guys suggestions

not much can help a engine with this kinda compression and wear
1 - 89 psi
2 - 93 "
3 - 84 "
4 - 91 "
5 - 101 "
6 - 99 "

Impressive miles. I had an 85 S-10 with that engine, it was underpowered but reliable. Only problem I had was the passenger side exhaust manifold cracked.
When the lower 20 percent of the sheetmetal rusted away after 15 years, I finally sold it but it continued on for at least 5 more years afterwards as I'd see it in town.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Thicker oil can sometimes help.
smile.gif
Oh and this has been used by someone with success.

https://www.amazon.com/Restore-8-Cylinder-Formula-Restorer-Lubricant/dp/B000AM8BCC

i actually have used that on another car i used to have and it did indeed raise compression significantly as far as snake oil and bs product goes it does work.
on that note it does not help the old blazer much , it did raise the compression my about 10 psi per cylinder but when i factored the cost of this stuff it just made more sense to just keep pouring oil in it

i found it ate more oil with restore in the crankcase.

Last edited:
This is more about miles than oil, welcome aboard, how long have you had the vehicle for ?

i have had it since i was 16 , it was one of the first handful of cars i bought.
the day i got it it had about 390 ish miles on it , the p/o gave me Polaroid photos of the odo every time it rolled over plus every single receipt and service record

i was thinking about trying Pennzoil 10w30 this run , it seems to keep older engines quieter than most oils

(side note all the cars that get serviced at my shop get pennzoil)

Where I used to work in the mid '80s to mid '90s we had 3 or 4 S-10 service trucks with the 2.8 that made it over 300K, all 5 speeds, but they were all TBI motors. The '92 one I had made it to 350K (after I stopped working there), but it burned oil like a freight train at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back