1984 Audi GT Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's one with under 80k miles for sale near me for $5,000. It looks to be in good shape. Any opinions or ideas about what to look out for with these?

Thanks!

5000, as in 5000 dollars? for a 1984? What the H*$#?????????????? Cool looking car but that much money for a rolling electrical problem and maintenance money pit is just nuts IMO. But to each his own. If you are ready for the expenses and want to shell out that kind of cash then you'll have fun with it. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, even while I appreciate that those cars were really neat when new. Also, just thinking about it logically, what are the chances that a 1984 car has less than 80,000 miles for real?

A friend of ours has one made in the 1980s and has had lots of problems with it. Parts of any kind are a real issue.

I would run not walk away from it!

I just looked the car up. This car is sexy!!! Try lower the price down a little!!! Buy it has a hobby car and not a daily driver...

Originally Posted By: ET16
Any opinions or ideas about what to look out for with these?

At this age, pretty much everything.

Very cool car but it's going to be a headache to own, especially if you've never owned a German car.

The owner expects it to gain collectible status soon.

Maybe in ten years.

But first the rest of them have to die horrible deaths and be recycled, so the look is fresh again.

$5k is an awfully arbitrary price, too.

A project 5000 of similar vintage has been for sale near me for most of a year for $750 with no biters.

I agree that the price is high. I had one in Europe in the mid-90s. I liked it then, but I don't know how such a car would be at 25 years old.

Those were really great during that era but man the reliability was bad then. I can't imagine how much trouble they would be now.

Originally Posted By: ET16
There's one with under 80k miles for sale near me for $5,000. It looks to be in good shape. Any opinions or ideas about what to look out for with these?

Thanks!

I'd look for lots and lots of maintenance records, to show its been kept in good driving shape, that's the only way its worth $5k. If its sat for a while or "hasn't needed anything" then its probably going to need alot of work to be reliable again.

Once in a while somebody will sell their 80's turbo quattro project cars for around $5k but they usually need alot of work to get them onto the road again.

That thing's a rolling piece of history. Do a youtube search for Gruppe B (or group B) rally racing from the 80's and sit back and be amazed.

The Audi GT was in it's element.

If I were in the market.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back