1980's Honda GXV120 - Burning oil.

Was going to order a set of $20 rings and a base gasket for thus engine. It is on a HR214-PX mower that is not self propelled but has the aluminum deck and blade brake. It is in near mint shape and runs absolutly perfect but smokes a little at all times, and very severe on startup.

I went to order rings and noticed a review / comment that says not to waste time with these rings because they will not fit. Honda revised the piston ring lands to solve the oil burning problem.

That was only one review comment and it was not mentioned any other place. Has anyone heard of this? Piston looks like new, but rings are shot. A new piston would put this over budget, as this is a fix and flip not a keeper for me.

If they revised the piston to fix an issue chances are the is a piston and ring kit available In the new style. The kit may not be much more than just the rings or piston separate.

I have seen many who renewed rings for an aluminum cylinder only to experience poor oil control. If you are determined to do it, I would hone the cylinder.

I have been inside many of these engines. The GXV120 has an iron bore. A re-ring should fix you up as long as the wear isn’t crazy and you don’t have a lot of valve guide wear. Pop the new rings in the bore and measure the gap in a few places. I don’t have the spec to hand but if it is tighter than the old ring’s gap it should help. These are great mowers and worth saving if you can do so inexpensively.

I have been inside many of these engines. The GXV120 has an iron bore. A re-ring should fix you up as long as the wear isn’t crazy and you don’t have a lot of valve guide wear. Pop the new rings in the bore and measure the gap in a few places. I don’t have the spec to hand but if it is tighter than the old ring’s gap it should help. These are great mowers and worth saving if you can do so inexpensively.
I would not go through the effort of re-ringing into a polished cylinder, steel or aluminum. The cylinder will be polished and should be honed during a ring job if you want to do it right.

I would not go through the effort of re-ringing into a polished cylinder, steel or aluminum. The cylinder will be polished and should be honed during a ring job if you want to do it right.
I agree that the cylinder should be honed as part of the ring replacement process. I was just pointing out that it is iron and that in my experience with the engines replacing the rings fixes the smoking.

Back