1980's GM Wagon??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mid size GM A-wagons were known for burning up when rear ended due to the gas tank configuration.Saw one myself after it happened.Wasnt damaged much in back for it to happen either.To think these were "family" cars to pile the whole family into plus cargo and then for that to happen.I believe an investigation was done years ago,but once again,GM got out of any liability due to time expiring..

That car will nickle and dime you for stupid junk to keep the thing running to drive it very little.
It's not worth the headache.
My dad had new GM stuff from that era which was absolute junk.

One month the ignition cap would bomb out and leave my mom stranded, a month after that the ignition control module pooped out. Than we'd go somewhere and the starter would die. The alternator was lucky to last more than 18 months, tie rods wore out................. .

Again, you will seemingly fix stupid junk on the car to drive it very little. If that's your idea of fun, go for it.

My parents ''85 Olds wagon (gas) with the 307 Olds engine ran trouble free for 175,000 miles, until it was totaled by a guy who hit it from behind. My kid brother was fine.

Luxury and room for plywood, what else could you want?

I like it, my 81 Omega x body was supposed to be the worst car ever, but it had very few problems, had a great seat, I liked how it drove, and it was a conversation starter.
The spaghetti carb was the issue, find an old gm mechanic who worked on these or plan to get rid of it at some point.
It seems like this car was driven, but the quick flip may be from finding an issue?

That's a cool car for sure. My first car was an '84 Cutlass with very similar interior. Except for the dodgy TH-200-C transmission, that car ran very well. Mine had the 307 V-8 with a 2.14:1 peg leg rear axle. If you come across a 307/TH-200-4R combo drivetrain, you can swap that in and change the rear ratio to a 3.73:1 and have a really nice machine for not much money.

I do think they're asking too much. I'd probably pay $1,500 for that vehicle as it sits.

Looks pretty nice, although the paint is pretty tired so is probably original, which is a good thing.
These are actually fairly small cars so they aren't all that roomy. This is a late example of the first gen downsized A-bodies that came out in 1978.
This is probably a 3.8 V-6 which would have decent power, although it wouldn't be enough to scare or thrill anyone.
Even the V-8s of that era are pretty weak.
For a fairly unique survivor with no rust, around 2K is probably a reasonable price.
If you can find an indie who actually worked on GM cars of that era, you'd be sitting pretty.
This engine will have rudimentary computer control.

Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
eljefino said:
Too much money and the guy's likely flipping it.

Also, I realized from the picture that it's actually a Cutlass Cruiser as the Custom Cruiser was based on the full-sized models, not the Cutlass platform. I'm not sure if it justifies $2400 or not, but I'm sure it would serve anyone well.

OK, that clears things up a bit, thanks!

Thanks for all of the responses--a bit to chew on. A lot of options here, one of which is getting a new vehicle for my main car and pulling the seats out of my Freestyle and turning IT into my errand beater. However, it just seems in too good of shape to do that, and it just seems wasteful to me. Maybe if that new BMW diesel came in a manual trans I could be convinced, but no new wagons out there have swayed me. So, I'm back to a beater.

115hp. Yikes! The sensible thing would probably be for me to pick up a 240 wagon with a stick. 115HP is way more workable with a MT, and I could fix that in my sleep. Carbs and lots of vacuum hoses scare me, and it seems that people's experiences with these seem all over the place. Still, I'm intrigued by this, so I may take a look tomorrow.

One thing I need to consider is that I'd have to fix this on my own. There are really no old-time domestic repair shops in my area. I could push a 240 to 3 different Volvo repair shops if I'm stumped on something, but this just isn't the place for 1980's American cars--which I guess is part of the appeal....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back