1980 Chrysler Cordoba

Those huge 1970s luxury cars were VERY luxurious and plush. Compare a huge 70s era Town Car or Sedan De Ville to the “luxury” crap made today. They weren’t meant to handle like a sports car, they were meant to float down the road and be as roomy as your living room:D

They had to float down the road. Any hard jolt would unleash the noise of misaligned body panels, squeaky frames and rattling windows in the doors.

Yes they were big and we had to constantly feed them with gasoline which was hard considering a ten gallon limit and even-odd days rationing.

I sold those Cordoba's in the 70's in Denver.
They were a hell of a car for that era.
The hood was so long that if you hit a good bump ,like a speed bump it would twist from the cowl forward and the whole car would shake.
Big, smooth ,powerful for it's day, arm chair like seats a true highway cruiser.
This is when unleaded gas was just starting.
Chrysler had what just called the 400 lean burn that could still use leaded gas.
Of course compared to todays cars it was awful, but in it's day it was something.
At the dealership I worked only managers got a Cordoba or New Yorker to drive.
Top salesman on Saturday got to drive a Cordova for the week end.
Sure beat the Plymouth Arrow I had as a demo.

The one in the linked listing comes equipped with a factory installed CB radio!!!
The 1980 was the new body style.
Here's the original

Last edited:
In the early 80’s my friends and I were into Mustangs, Camaro’s, or pickups. We were too young for the ‘personal luxury’ cars.
Now, I wouldn’t mind a low mileage nice example. I guess I’m old enough now.

All of you that are old enough will remember that when two of these land yachts collided you could hear the sound many blocks away.

Definitely a low time for American cars. I had a 77 volare for a short time. The 318 had about 120 hp. Coupled with a 2.2 w rear axle ratio made for very slow acceleration.
That's what I was always told growing up in the 80's. It did seem that way.

CaptureKhan.JPG

My dad bought a 1973 Olds Toronado in the summer of 1977. That was a nice riding car - it floated down the highway! I loved that Toronado for 2 reasons - 1, I got his 1973 Impala as a hand me down, and 2, it was such a nice car to drive.

Back