1979 F-150 What Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have just acquired a 1979 F-150 4x4 with a 351M, I found documents in the glovebox that the motor was rebuilt in 1990 at 90,000 miles. The truck now reads 32,000 miles so I don't know how many miles on the rebuild. I bought the truck from a local who bought it at a dealer auction about 5 years ago, he has not driven it much at all in the past 5 years, he used 10w40 but didn't drive it in winter. I have searched the posts here but still am not sure what I should do as my situation is a bit unique. I will only be driving the truck about 3000 miles a year, mostly hauling firewood and going to the hunting shack. Most of these miles will be on dirt roads, and our weather here runs from 90+ in the summer down to -50 in the winter, I won't be driving the truck if it's that cold though
smile.gif
My questions are:

What weight(s) oil should I be running in the truck? I assume I should change the oil in the fall and spring to get the best weight for the seasons. I know that I won't have many miles on each oil change but that's fine with me, I don't mind doing it.

Should I be using dino, blend or synthetic? The truck leaks a bit of oil, will need to add some often.

What brands do you guys recommend, does anyone else with a similiar climate have anything that works good for them?

I am also going to change the differentials and NP205 transfer case fluids (tcase is leaking a bit), any suggestions there?

This is a great truck in very good shape, I want to keep it running as good as possible. I also am not very concerned with oil costs as I will not be changing it often, just want to use whats best.

This is my first post, I also posted this question on the FTE (Ford truck) forum, I figured the more opinions the better though!

Thanks in advance!

The motor ought to have 42,000 miles on it then. I would use Havoline or Pennzoil 5w-30 in winter and 10w-30 in the summer, or any blend would be fine. Mobil 1 if you ARE going to drive it when it's that cold.

I'd use synthetics in the diffs and t-case, either Valvoline or Mobil 1 but only because of the cold and you won't change them often, if at all again.

Synthetics in the differential, t-case, and transmission are a great idea and, since these stay in for a long, long time, might as well go all out and use Redline. Some of the Redline ATF has better antiwear (GL-4 level) than Mobil 1 ATF (I called and their tech said they are not rated by GL but if they were, at best it would maybe be GL-3, which is about half the antiwear of GL-4).

I have a similar truck and I run Rotella 5w-40 syn in it. It's a group III syn not a real POA. I buy it at walmart for $3.89 a quart I think. Also has more ZDDP antiwear additives because it is a diesel rated oil -something that non-roller cams really like. It's the cheapest 5w-40 that I could find because I couldn't justify running a $5 oil when it gets burned up in 1000mi. I live in Co and it gets cold but not like in Mn. So maybe 5w-30 might be better as long as you only run it in the winter. I have UOAs to back up the fact that M series engines don't like 30weight oils in anything more that 60deg weather.
I run redline all up and down the driveline in my trucks. 75w-90 in Tcase and front axle. 80w-140 in rear axle because I pull hard in the summer. Any leaks in the NP205 should be easy to fix. If you dunk your running gear in creeks regularly I would skip on the syn cause you'll need to change it alot more often. Also any syn like redline will cause small seeps to get bigger.
FTE is has a lot of good info over there but I have seen a lot of misinformation about oil there.FWIW

do as OffOrWFO suggests... That was going to be what I posted as a suggestion.

JMH

Thanks for the info. Would you recommend running the Rotella 5w40 year round? Also what temps is this oil good for? I am sure I won't be driving the truck under -20. Do I need to worry about the engine leak problem getting worse with the synthetic oil? Thanks again, I really appreciate the input, with so many options out there for oil it gets kind of overwhelming.

5w-40 would be fine at -20. I run 5w-40 year around and chose the oil for that reason. You could run 5w-30 in the winter and 10w-40 the rest of the year if you don't mine changing it more. Your leaks could get slightly worse with a group III syn, but nothing like a groupIV+. Group III is basically a highly prosessed dino oil with some real syn added with the additive package so it doesn't have as much of a tendency to leak. I had a slight rear main leak, you know the kind that never hits the ground, and it didn't get any worse with the rotela syn but yours may react different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back