1976 Poplar Science article on synthetic oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Thanks, that was fun to read. It seems to me that Popular Science was written to a higher standard in those days then it is today.
Untill the late 70s it was a great magazine . Today most magazines are really poor.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
$5 a quart in 1978? It must be like $30 a quart in 2010 currency.
What changed since then that made a quart of synthetic oil way cheaper?

Yep. Volume. When I started using M1 in 78 nobody heard on synt oil.
I first used dyn oil in my M/C in 1969. I could get M1 when it first came out for $3.50 per qt from the local Mobil gas station which was great when the list was $5.00 per qt. I ran the 20 untill it became a 30. I remember the article!!

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
According to Wikipedia, All Proof became Red Line, is that true?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

I only bring it up because All Proof was one of the brands shown in the article.

Did some searching, apparently Wikipedia is correct.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: SklyWag from Pashnit Motorcycle Forum
Ok, so here is the history lesson of why RedLine is #1. What they don't say is it started out as a small company called "All Proof", how do I know that? I knew the original founder Pete Filice.

Since 1979, the privately-held Red Line Synthetic Oil Corporation has grown to manufacture over 80 quality products, including motor oils, gear oils, assembly lubes, fuel additives, and its popular WaterWetter cooling additive for the automotive, motorcycle, marine, and industrial markets. Based in Benicia, California, the company earned a reputation with racers and enthusiasts alike for creating products that perform and protect better than any on the market, regardless of price.

Originally founded by president Tim Kerrigan and Peter Filice (retired) to produce lubricants for the racing industry, Red Line Oil now distributes a diverse line of products in North America, Europe, Australia, and Japan.

Developing and marketing among the most sophisticated lubricants in the world, Red Line’s products are designed to literally outperform for the task at hand. In 1986, the addition of Cornell-degreed Roy Howell as chief chemist brought Red Line Synthetic Oil Corporation into a league of its own, with a knowledge of available technologies, an ability to respond to technical challenges, and the ability to satisfy the needs of the performance industry.

Red Line Oil’s team of chemists and blenders formulate fully-synthetic oils and chemically-advanced additives using only the world’s finest base stocks. This makes Red Line Oil the premium product on the shelf. It’s not designed to be the cheapest—it’s built to be the best. Rather than cutting costs by blending into polyalphaolefin base stock for its motor oil, Red Line Oil only uses superior poly ester-based products—resulting in lubricants that are extremely stable at high temperatures while providing superior film strength at lower viscosities where more power can be produced.

The world’s top racing teams and most discriminating enthusiasts use Red Line Oil products exclusively. There may be a different sponsor on the outside, but chances are its Red Line Oil on the inside.

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=119988&postcount=14

I can read pretty good on my droid.
battery life isnt bad.. 2-3 hours of reading and still at 60%+ with some modest phone calls etc.
(this is over a 14 hour period since last charge)

my battery never goes below 50% ever unless I forget to plug it in for a couple days

Last edited:
I've got tat article floating around soemwhere...I've actually got the magazine too.

The oils solidifying were the early 10W-40s with too much plastic in them. It was reported in the day that after a long high speed run through the desert, the oil would thicken to the point that it was useless.

All Proof was Smokey Yunick's fave. He reported that in lean times, he'd drain it, filter it, and run it again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

I only bring it up because All Proof was one of the brands shown in the article.

I'm 97% sure that you're correct on that. When I saw the picture, I thought, "oh, AllProof -- been a while... which one of today's did they become?" Again, I think they did morph into RedLine.

Wow, they list Amzoil as being from Plano, Tx.

I remember seeing Mobil-1 for $5 a bottle at Nationwise Auto Parts in West Virginia when I was a kid. I thought that maybe that was a misprint on the sticker (back then they priced each item with a price gun). I never used synthetic oil until I moved to Cheyenne, Wyoming, and experienced the true meaning of cold weather. These days I use synthetic in everything I own.

While I won't swear to it, I doubt that Redline morphed from All Proof. I called on Redline for many years back in the '80s and knew Tim Kerrigan and Pete Filice pretty well - had many dinners with them & wives and have been to their homes. Not once in all of our conversations did either one ever mention any connection to All Proof, nor did anyone in my company.

Tim and Pete told me worked in the television industry and were Amsoil dealers when they decided to go off on their own with Redline. They focused on racing and were intent on making the best oils possible without regard to cost. Since I was in the business of selling high priced polyol esters, it was always a pleasure to work with people who were more concerned with performance than price.

If they were All Proof dealers or bought the company, they never mentioned it to me.

Tom NJ

Have a look at page 23. Chrysler's ad agency mixed the then-new Dodge Aspen into what looks like a scene from the movie "My Fair Lady," without giving any credit to the filmmakers!

If they cast their own actors in costumes like those in that movie -- including one who looks remarkably like Rex Harrison -- then why does it look, as we'd say today, poorly Photoshopped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back